A new one - 1990 Johnson 25 wouldn't shift. Broken magnet!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I sold a 1990 Johnson 25 to a friend of mine a month ago. Demonstrated it on a boat, ran well, started easily, etc. So, of course, first time he tried to use it, it won't shift out of forward gear!! I thought maybe the shift connection had come undone, but that was fine. The gear case it self would not shift. So, I pulled the rear carrier apart, fearing the worst - a busted clutch dog or maybe the shift fork had come apart.

Turns out, the motor had used a drain plugs with the magnetic tip. The 3/8-inch long magnetic bit had broken off and was standing, erect, between the shift yoke and the reverse gear! It was keeping the shift yoke from moving downwards any more than maybe 1/8 inch. I pulled it out with needle nose pliers, removed the reverse gear to check that nothing had been chewed up by the magnet (no filings in the oil, either), and put it back together. Works perfectly now!

So, is this a common occurrence? I've never noticed a broken magnet on a drain screw before. But, then again, it's not something I had really thought to inspect, either.