A movie question......

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Watched a rerun of the George Clooney movie "The Perfect Storm" the other night and was really curious about a bit of equipment they were using. Now rather than just resign myself to living in ignorance for the rest of my days I wondered if any iboaters could identify the equipment and what it is used for?<br /><br />In the movie the crew are packing up and heading for home and Mr Clooney says "ok, put the birds out": they then swing out what looks like anchor flukes on davits either side of the boat as they pick up the longlines.<br /><br />What are "birds" on a sword boat and what do they do :confused:

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: A movie question......

Stabilisers held on outriggers to give the boat less 'roll'. They are usually packed away when at cruising speed. They would have been put in place whilst the crew were working to give them a better foothold in the heavy seas.<br />Ross

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Ross: that's exactly the reply I gave to "her indoors" when she asked but then I started to doubt myself....<br /><br />thanks again

Realgun

Commander

Thats partly why they lost the boat when they lost the "bird."<br /><br />The first was hiring George as Capitan. :D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

:D :D <br /><br />I knew something bad was going to happen because they broke the cardinal rule: they had womenfolks waving them goodbye.....very bad luck :( <br /><br />...well, that and they had a film crew with them and I'd already read the report of the Andrea Gail sinking :D