A man doing this would be strung up...

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A man doing this would be strung up...

don't forget that no one here knows the details of the situation. maybe he was a violent, child abusive @$$#013 that she had to escape from. you never know.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Theres no excuse for leaving somebody to believe there child is missing, fearing the worst. I presume if he was violent / abusive to the child the state would have protected the child.

gonfishn

Commander

Ohio has nothing to do with it trbshtr..Before you judge us i would look into your own backyard..Drugs and other goodies seem to hit the newpapers in your neck of the woods more than here.<br /><br />If Ohio is to be pegged as a safehaven folks like this so be it..At least we aren't known for being the harbor port for every drug imaginable that enters the USA..Thanks Ol'Norse..

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> Theres no excuse for leaving somebody to believe there child is missing, fearing the worst. I presume if he was violent / abusive to the child the state would have protected the child.
Presumption is as bad as assumption. Having seen very much of this, and had it personally affect members of my family, I can assure you that the state cannot always do what you think they should, nor is the victim often in a position to ask for assistance. You may prefer to disagree, but for myself, I know of plenty of circumstances where this would be ethically and morally legitimate.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The real question here is: what exactly do they teach at Southwest Licking Schools?<br /><br />"The girl, 5 years old when she was reported missing, is now 13 and attending Southwest Licking Schools...."

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I am divorced. I have been before a judge about issues on child custody. I can tell you, that so far it is mostly in the woman's favor. I had one judge tell me to just shut up, in so many words. I was protesting her wanting to take my boys into Canada, where she was getting married to the person she divorced me for. He is Canadian, obviously.<br /><br />I just don't understand why this woman had to run. She would most likely have goten custody and money every month. If he was violent, she would have reported it in order to assure a win in the custody battle.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

It *is* hard to understand when you're not in that situation, but there are many reasons why it isn't that simple.<br /><br />Divorce is a terrible thing, sam, and custody disputes are even worse. I'm really sorry about your experience. There are so many things that should never happen that do.

gonfishn

Commander

Have you ever seen a women after she has been beaten half to death by an abusive husband or seen a child with bruises and burn marks all over them...I have many times..in your case Samugee i am sure it was different....Shelters are full of abused women and children because the law does not protect them..The courts won't do anything until usually its to late..Guys like you who are trying to do the right thing seems to be the ones that are guilty unless proven otherwise..Its wrong but its the system..I will keep you informed on how this goes..It will be old news by tommorrow..<br /><br />Newspapers are filled with stories each day about these goings on..<br /><br />Johnstown,Ohio is or was a small farming community...Farmers have sold out and 200-500K homes are there now..I always thought education wasn't judged by what state you live in or how it is taught..a first grader is taught their abcs not if someone has been abusing her..If she was abused would you think she would want to be found..And if not I am sure she would have by now gotten ahold of her father if not so..IMO only..

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry all about the Ohio comment. It was meant in jest. The reason that so many drugs are run into Florida is because we have quite a bit of shoreline. Simple!

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, they came from CA, which means the law isn't quite as biased against the man. I've seen plenty of cases where the man gets custody and the woman has to pay alimony. It's probably still not completely fair, but on the right track. <br /><br />The girl probably got a better education in Ohio than she would have here. <br /><br />Perhaps the biggest tragedy is that they had to live in a place called "Licking". :p

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, if a man ran with his kids. The man would already be cuffed and stuffed. <br /><br />I can see where a woman would want to run from an abusive man. However, I have seen many women go right back to these men. I know how difficult it is for the law to keep them safe with just restraining orders. I am in the IT field, however I am contracted in a place that has tons of lawyers which prosecute these scum all the time. In fact I have two victim advocates right outside my office door in cubicles. I hear their conversations all the time.<br /><br />I would like to hear what happens in that case up there gonfishn. Thanks. I just see double standards alot in these things. <br /><br />I am dreading the battle I have for the custody of my younger two coming up. It's going to be ugly. I have custody of the older two, but she doesn't want the younger ones coming to live with me. Get this, when we were going through the court system about the older two. She didn't see why the amount of child support had to change, even though I had two of the four kids. The custody battles are my boy's doing. They asked to move in with me.<br /><br />It's not plesant working with the court system about custody. They have this attitude about us men that sticks out like thorns around a rose.<br /><br />At any rate. I drive to pick them up this weekend for my part of the summer with them. I like were we meet to exchange kids, Port Huron Michigan. There is a nice marina there were we drool over the boats.

gonfishn

Commander

Your situation kinda hit home here Samagee..After my first divorce she took off and it was 16 years later when I finally got to see him..Only after he demanded to see his father was I allowed to see him..Bad part about it she tried to hit me with 16 years back support..The judge(bless his soul) told her a no go..He is now 26 and spends his time with me in Minnesota..Time goes on and they will grow up.We are very close now..<br /><br />Sorry to have pulled the trigger so quick Trblshtr..And Joe if I wanted this post to go poof I would tell you how Licking county got its name,but then again what you are thinking is probably true..Some day i will tell you about the farmer who was double jointed and how a county got named after him..lol..