a little rant

FSHKPR

Ensign
doggone it been looking for a few months for a cottage up in the mountain, townsend area. finally find one that is in my price range. older mobile home with an addition and 3 acres. check it all out looks good. the spec sheet says asking price $42,900 or make an offer. so i make a an offer of 39,900 seller counters with $42900. okay no big deal i tell realtor we are 3000 apart i will split the difference with him put in offer of $41,400. realtor says i would be real surprised if he did not take this offer. so naturally my hopes are sky high, even planning the changes i am gonna make. well he not only rejected the offer but now has told the seller to take it off the market. talk about a let down! now its back to square one. the looking was fun at first now its just starting to get old must of looked at 35 or 40 places already. got two to look at tomorrow and if neither of those work out i think i will put the whole thing on hold till next year. well thanks for the vent.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: a little rant

Tough area, got a friend with a place in Wabeno on otter lake but that has been in his family for like 4 generations. Everything I looked at up there has gone for more than it was worth or there were serious issues with the property itself. <br /><br />I'm sure you know this but having a good real estate agent who calls you the minute a property comes available is key..

FSHKPR

Ensign

maybe thats my problem pointer i did not want to commit to one realtor so i am dealing with them all. as far as waterfront property goes i wont be able to afford tha untill i win the lottery. wow that stuff is just unreal. looked at some small lots on the townsend flowage under half an acre and they wanted$65000 for those. no septic well or even electric on the lot yet. not to mention the work of clearing for a building site. so i will be happy with just an acre or two of off water property. building dont have to be much i can fix em the way i want them.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Might be an idea to find out who owned that chunk of property and let it clear the contract with the realtor. Then have an agent or cut out approach the guy with compliments and 45K cash. He may be more amenable to a casual deal. Some of the people up there can become put off pretty quick. Sometimes better to buy a guy a beer chip instead of a beer.<br /><br />Another good way is to pick out a property, even if it doesn't have a for sale sign and send them a letter. By doing this you can indicate your prequalified financial situation, keep the realtors from showing the property and save the seller the 6-8% the agent would take. Eliminates the hassels of showing the property as well. This is a numbers game and the more letters you send the better the chance of a bingo. You only need to have one looking to sell. This has worked for houses in specific neighborhoods, why not property. Turnover in that area is alot slower than most houses so it might take a bit. Make sure you don't make it look like a letter from an investment speculator. Keep it kind of personal. <br /><br />Good luck it is a great area, keep us posted as to your progress. When in the area stop by the house of houle and burn some loose change. They don't have places like that in hollywood or marthas vineyard.

FSHKPR

Ensign

okay pointer you got me now. house of houle? where is it? and what is it? i have been going to this area for years, my grampa owned a business in townsend so i have been going to this area since i was about 6 years old. and i cannot remember any house of houle.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It's a tiny bar on the south end of Wabeno on the west side of the highway. Looks more like an old abandoned house. 3 tappers for a buck. It is owned by an old woman who went to europe during WWII because she just loved to love men. If you know what I mean. :rolleyes: Some people call it Percy's.<br /><br />The bar is about 20ft by 15ft wide with a small general store connected that looks like it was last stocked back in the 70's.<br /><br />Homemade doilies for coasters and schlitz sold by the twelve pack. Its been a couple of 4 years since I was up there, but the memories last a lifetime.

GradyBob

Cadet

At first, I thought you were talking about Townsend, Tenn. My wife and I own rental properties here in Florida and in the mountains of North Carolina.<br /><br />We were negotiating a deal on mountain home in the same comunity where we have a very successful vacation rental. The home was built by the same builder and adjoined the property of my existing home. We negotiated the price with the owner and even aggreed to allow the owner use of the property for sentimental reasons for five weeks a year. This home sat on 6 acres and would really compliment my other property. We bent over backward to meet the owners issues and dollars to acquire the home. At the 11th hour right before we went to sign the contract, the owner pulled the plug. We invested a significant amount of time and energy to negotiate the deal.<br /><br />Fast forward a couple of weeks, we entered into negotiation with another home and worked the deal. My realtor was in NC and the owner in South Florida and I am in Central Florida. We worked the deal over the phone and e-mail. <br /><br />The owner made a demand that we have signed formed in his hands by 10 PM on a night when we could not do that. The owner questioned my integrity and sincerity in wanting to buy his home. He made a demand after the price was agreed upon that if I did provide him with this peice of paper in the next 10 minutes the price of the house went up $5K.<br /><br />In as nice as a way I could say it without being a total A-hole myself, I told him to shove it and walked away from the deal. The kicker is 3 days later he came back to me...kind of like John Kerry... and changed his mind and pretended that the entire thing never happened. I still walked.<br />Third time was the charm and we found another home. I feel your pain completely in dealing with real estate.

FSHKPR

Ensign

well i think god works in mysterious ways. looked at about 6 more properties yesterday. found two that really interest me. one a little more than the other has two acres and an older but really nicely maintained.a little more money than i wanted to spend, but still affordable. put in an offer and waiting to hear back. keep your fingers crossed for me. thanks

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

FSHKPR, sometimes things are meant to happen. I had listed my first house for sale. I didn't expect the first person to buy it within the 1st 24 hours of it being listed. So then we needed to find a new house immediately. <br /><br />We fell in love with this one house, made the offer, he accepted, then he backed out. I'm glad he did because another piece of property that came up was more suitable for my needs. <br /><br />Good luck and be patient, rushing into buying can be rushing into problems later. Inspect the property thouroghly....

FSHKPR

Ensign

well the offer has been accepted all we have to do now is wait for financing to clear. this is the oldest trailer we looked at. in fact when we first read the spec sheet and saw the age. (1966) we were not even going to look at it. well i am glad we did because even tho it is the oldest it is by far in the best shape of all that we looked at. nice wooded two acres of land and only about a 5 minute ride to the boat landing that puts me on over 600 acres of water. I am excited but still alittle nervous.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats FSHKPR! Cabin warming party at FSHKPR's soon TBA!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Open bar, right? <br />A man with property would never require us to BYOB! :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

As your support group we are entitled to how many weekends a year and when do we get to pick our fav. weekends?<br /><br />If it's what you want and the asking price is in line, give him asking and hold him to the deal.. 3-5K won't mean a thing in a year or so.....<br /><br />BUY LAND YOUNG MAN!!!!!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

have to agree w/ P94 "BUY LAND YOUNG MAN!!!!! "<br /><br />We bought a 40 in 1999, Price County, for 15.5K....has been a priceless investment for my family, and is appreciating to boot.<br /><br />Hope the closing goes well FSHKPR <br />. Do you have an attorney to attend the closing? I highly recommend you do IMO.

FSHKPR

Ensign

thanks guys. and if ever in the neighborhood would love to hook up. pointer has already mentioned a nice little bar in the area. and i always have beer in the fridge. usually limited to miller light and leinies creamy dark but also keep a few bud lites and michelob ultras on hand, for my friends that do not know any better. plus there is always kesslers and the fixings for margaritas!