A letter from Iraq

KaGee

Admiral
A friend of mine forwarded this letter that her niece recently received. The service men and women want everyone to know what's going on without the filter of network tv news.<br /><br />
I sent my absentee ballot in a couple of days ago. I can tell you that my ballot meant more to me this election than any other time in my voting life. Sending it via mail from Iraq was very surreal. If I've ever felt that the President has a direct impact on my immediate future, it is now.<br /><br />Tonight, we are taking more mortars than usually due to Bush's victory. I'm writing this to you while wearing a Kevlar vest and helmet. Which is fine because it just goes to show that the terrorists disapprove of the country standing behind Bush. And a victory for Bush is a defeat for them.<br /><br />Yesterday, I had the opportunity to watch a 2 mile convoy of Iraqi soldiers leave for an undisclosed town (starts with an F) on what looked like a very important mission. It was raining and actually cool. The first rain of the year as a matter of fact. The wind was blowing and every vehicle in the convoy had a new Iraqi flag blowing proudly. These new Iraqi soldiers were young and old. And you could see that many of them were afraid. They sat <br />piled in the back of pick up trucks huddled together. Some of them wore ski masks to hide their identities. Others stood beside the trucks and smoked. Many smiled and waved as I drove by. However, as rag tag as much of their <br />equipment and vehicles looked, they looked proud and ready to prove a point. <br /><br />I couldn't help but think that I was witnessing the birth of a new nation. That these guys were heading out to take back their country. Fifty of their comrades had recently been murdered executioner-style while unarmed. They had a serious and determined look of it's payback time and we aren't going to take any crap anymore. I hope they are successful. I hope they don't break and run. I hope their training and leadership help them achieve a victory. They need this. It's their first baby steps in gaining the confidence that they need to regain control of their own country.<br /><br />The sense of history was not lost on me. It's difficult to witness events like this and not feel a sense of pride for taking part in rebuilding this country. I think if those who oppose our mission over here could experience <br />events like these maybe they would understand. Maybe not? The look of fear, determination, strength, and pride on the faces of those Iraqi <br />soldiers makes any protest by a movie star or rants by a musician seem ridiculous and insulting to those who are experiencing the rebirth of Iraq first hand.<br /><br />Take care and hope to see you soon.<br /><br />Damon<br /><br />
I'm going to look into adopting one of these brave soldiers when I get home Friday.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A letter from Iraq

Thanks, Damon.<br /><br />It's good to get the truth from the guys and gals on the point.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome. Watching history being made. God bless our soldiers.

NYMINUTE

Captain

We sit here and complain alot, maybe we take a bit of that energy and Thank those up front.