A Lending Hand

i went out on my boat the other day it is a 88 four winns so we are going through the channel when we come up to this 28 foot cruiser towing a 16 foot open bow and a guy trying to start his boat as we are heading in to the channel the guy is sitting on the bow and the waves are breaking over the front of the boat. So he yells over to me and asks if i had jumper cables. i told him no i dont but i have a spare battery. He made the comment well who has a spare battery on his boat, and say well my boat is running and not being towed. he asked me to borrow it and i was gonna take off because of the statement he said so being the good boater i lent it to him. he tried to start it and got it running but then let it die. after 10 min. of trying to start it and about 6 inches of water rolling around in the bottom the CG shows up. they tell me to move along and he got towed in by the boat that was towing him in first. this guy had three dead batteries and a jumper box and he makes fun of me for having an extra battery . EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: A Lending Hand

You were doing OK until the last sentence. I think you will find that sort of an attitude to be against the general sensibilities of this crowd.

That's funny, yesterday after an afternoon of trying to go tubing/boating I was bringing the boat back to the ramp & some guy in his older i/o bayliner asked if he could get a jump start. I have an old Larson w/johnson outboard, I had earlier put in a second battery to run the accesories after getting out the motor battery it wouldn't start his engine, so I got out the second battery as I was doing that he commented that how many batteries do you have on the boat, lucky for him I had two.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I carry a spare battery, because I dont like to row a 23 foot boat.:cool:

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

That's why I loved my old 84 Johnson 75 horse. If the engine had been running within the last 3 to 4 hours you could get the old rope out and pull start it. Fired up first pull both times I had to start it that way.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's why I loved my old 84 Johnson 75 horse. If the engine had been running within the last 3 to 4 hours you could get the old rope out and pull start it. Fired up first pull both times I had to start it that way.

That some serious pulling.:)

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 60 Mariner starts quite easily with the pull rope. I tried last fall just to see how difficult it would be.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I have a twin outboards with twin batteries.I have a switch that controls them both.I run out with both batteries charging and then switch to one.I always have a hot battery.I also remove my starters every other year and clean or put in new brushes. I also have a new/rebuilt starter as backup.Jerry

204 Escape

Ensign

About a month ago, we went to the lake. I was talking to the dealership, (they have a dealership on the lake), when this guy, and his 3 kids came in, and ask the dealership if they had a set of jumper cables, because his engine battery was dead. The salesman told him the truth, that the mechanics had left for the day.

I offered to jump him, with my boat, which he accepted.

Went to the ramp, got unloaded, and backed up and waited for him to get backed into the water. My deck boat has a front trolling motor battery, so after we got the cables hooked up, (and they lowered the prop into the water), I jumped him.

He started right up, and I waited to make sure that it was going to run, and I backed off.

He and his family came to the dock, and he had $$ in his hand, and offered it to me. I refused it, and he insisted. Again I refused it, and I told him to take the kids out, have a great day, and if he ever got the chance to help someone, like I'd helped him to return the favor.

He said thanx.

Seen him a week ago, and he waved great big, and said, "There's my buddy".

'nuff said !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He said thanx.

Seen him a week ago, and he waved great big, and said, "There's my buddy".

;)

This is what boating is all about!!! No worry's and a helping hand nearby when needed!!!!:cool:

mthieme

Captain

If a second battery connected up to a switch counts as a spare, this is not unusual.
I imagine he was quite frustrated, but I would have been eternally grateful that someone stopped and offered assistance.