A Johnrude Score x3!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
An old fisherman I have helped out from time to time with keeping his fishing boat going returned the favor this weekend and dropped off a small pile of motors as a thank you! Included were:
A 1955 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp parts motor - missing cylinder head and recoil, but has the parts I need to complete a similar motor.
A 1954 Johnson 25hp tiller model - stuck, but complete. May dive into it next winter as it is pretty clean and would be a fun motor to run on the tinny.
A 1954 Evinrude Fastwin 15hp - missing the prop, but otherwise complete and could be a runner.

Sorry, didn't have my camera handy, so I didn't get pics before I tucked them away...

jbjennings

Captain
Re: A Johnrude Score x3!!

Nice! I rarely get them dleivered to my door, but a neighbor dropped off an old early 80s 4.5hp that had no compression and it wound up being one of my prize motors when I took it apart about a year later and found the problem (seized rings) which I was able to correct for about $10 on fleabay. I'd still like to look at your "wall" from time to time!! :)
An old fisherman I have helped out from time to time with keeping his fishing boat going returned the favor this weekend and dropped off a small pile of motors as a thank you! Included were:
A 1955 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp parts motor - missing cylinder head and recoil, but has the parts I need to complete a similar motor.
A 1954 Johnson 25hp tiller model - stuck, but complete. May dive into it next winter as it is pretty clean and would be a fun motor to run on the tinny.
A 1954 Evinrude Fastwin 15hp - missing the prop, but otherwise complete and could be a runner.

Sorry, didn't have my camera handy, so I didn't get pics before I tucked them away...

AlTn

Commander

thanks for sharing the feel good story, Chine!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Motors keep accumulating in the shop of late. Lots of junkers, but a few gems. I think I may try to salvage this one - a 1960 Sea King 35 tiller model. The powerhead is stuck, but I have a 33hp Evinrude Ski Twin powerhead all oiled up on the shelf that I think will bolt right up.

Also got an identical parts chassis & cowling with it - wouldn't you know there's only ONE of the Sea King badges of the four between the two cowlings?

Attachments

• SeaKing35_0058.jpg
    SeaKing35_0058.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaKing35_0056.jpg
    SeaKing35_0056.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaKing35_0057.jpg
    SeaKing35_0057.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaKing35_0055.jpg
    SeaKing35_0055.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

when it rains it pours! Where do you find all of these wonderful toys Chinewlaker?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They find me! I got the latest motors from a guy who I'd done motor work for several years ago. He was cleaning out his basement and asked me if I wanted them. He used to build docks back in the day and the Sea King and a Johnson 40 that also came with it were his workboat motors. Also got three sets of controls, too!

AlTn

Commander

I see that School Bus Storage plan in your future, Chine

kfa4303

Banned

They find me! I got the latest motors from a guy who I'd done motor work for several years ago. He was cleaning out his basement and asked me if I wanted them. He used to build docks back in the day and the Sea King and a Johnson 40 that also came with it were his workboat motors. Also got three sets of controls, too!

Some guy have all the luck! Congrats on the sweet score.

Rick.

Captain

What goes around, comes around. Well done. Rick.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Seems like once word spreads that you collect antique outboards, they seem to show up in hoards! I dont have any more room left.

Im starting to enjoy the Private Brands as well, love them Sea Kings.

By the way, thanks for the book, halfway through, great read for any OMC fan.

nwcove

Admiral

Seems like once word spreads that you collect antique outboards, they seem to show up in hoards! I dont have any more room left.

they do tend to show up on the doorstep.....whether it be a feebee ,or someone that wants work done that the shops wont touch. still great to see the old motors getting a second chance!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I went through the Sea King 35 last week. Punched out the stuck piston and honed the bores. Looked pretty good so I replaced the stuck piston with a good one from a 35hp Johnson powerhead that had one cylinder scuffed, but one good one. Went together pretty easily and when done punched my gauge to an even 110 psi in both holes. Went through the ignition and put in coils, points & condensers - good hot spark! New impeller, cleaned the carb, refilled the gearcase. Lugged it to the tinny and she fired off with a little effort and tweaking. Got the carb dialed in pretty well and she runs like a scalded cat! It's really too much motor for my boat - 14-foot Starcraft (rated for 30) but it was a fun ride! Ran it for about a half hour putting some break-in time on the powerhead.

On to the next one...

Attachments

• SeaKing35Running_0202.jpg
    SeaKing35Running_0202.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaKing35Running_0189.jpg
    SeaKing35Running_0189.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's all about where a person lives. I imagine that second perhaps only to Minnesota or Wisconsin....where Chinewalker lives has to be a vintage fresh-water outboard heaven; in spite of his best efforts to acquire them all....

BTW CW....Ever get that PM about Boatsmith?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Got the carb dialed in pretty well and she runs like a scalded cat!

congratulations indeed .... you have a skill that I really admire .... I'd start out with a motor that was working perfectly and end up with a pile of parts

Jim

Dave Brick

Seaman

What is this book for OMC fans you are talking about? I'd like to read it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The book HighTrim is referring to is called "Four Men from Terre Haute" by John Van Vleet. Details the early years of the Johnson Brothers Engineering Company (which begat Johnson Outboards), 1918-1935. It was a privately published book, long out of print. I have some extra copies... PM me if interested...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great reading for any Johnny/Rude fan.

freddyray21

Commander

If you need parts for the 25 hp I have one (elec start) I am parting out.