A fool and his money on EBay

FSHKPR

Ensign
i agree with ya homer. in fact i dont buy much on ebay at all anymore. about the only thing i buy on ebay now is old antique lures. and my wife says i about got enough of them.

Homerr

Commander
A fool and his money on EBay

How many of you notice that some people on EBay spend far more for something than they can get it for cheaper on a retail web site?<br /><br />At what point do you buy used over new?<br /><br />Depending on what the item was, I'd spend $10 maybe even $20 more for a brand new item vs. something off of EBay.<br />I would much rather spend a few extra dollars on a retail site in case there was problems with the item. At least then I could send it back etc...<br /><br />I've also noticed since EBay's fee increases, you are starting to see the auctions getting close to regular retail stores. <br /><br />Like I say... a fool and his money. If they don't want to take an extra 10 minutes and look around the Internet for a better deal than EBay... then go ahead and toss your money away!<br /><br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: A fool and his money on EBay

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> How many of you notice that some people on EBay spend far more for something than they can get it for cheaper on a retail web site?<br />
I LOVE those people. :D I can't count how many times I've bought something on sale somewhere and sold it for alot more on ebay. Ebay has more than paid for my boat and all the gas it drinks! :cool: <br /><br />(but yes, I agree, they're a bunch of morons)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I've noticed it too. I was bidding on a used battery isolator switch yesterday. I put £6 on it and got outbid. At the end of the auction it had got to £18-£6 MORE than in the RS catalogue for a new one, and the winner had 140 feedback.<br /><br />Some people are either really stupid or really lazy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

More and more, if I find something I want, I just use a bidding service, state my highest offer and never look til the auction is over. There are still plenty of good values out there but you just need to consider Ebay one of several tools to get what you need or want. <br /><br />The key is to make a realistic bid, in relation to what you can get it for new. I just missed a flywheel that I needed by bidding too low. If I'd been sharper I still could have had it for 55% of what I could get for at Jegs or Summit.

Bondo

Staff member

I Too find ebay to be an Excellent Resource for Some Things................<br /><br />As long as you do your homework,+ go in with Both eyes Open,......<br />There are Still some Great Deals out there...............<br /><br />I recently bought a Printer/Scanner/Fax/Etc/Etc..... For $38.00,.. To My Door............37.99 S&H,.. on a .01 cent Bid.............<br />Staples isn't going to beat that............<br /><br />Or,.........<br />Maybe I'm 1 of those Stupid Lazy Moronic Fools........................ :D

ZmOz

Captain

Often when I want to buy something on ebay I search for buy it now only auctions. Sometimes people don't know what their stuff is worth or just want to sell it quickly and they put on a really good buy it now price. I've actually bought things that way on ebay, and then resold them on ebay for more money. :D I also look for auctions that end late at night, so there probably won't be a bidding war at the end..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Auction bidding is just as addictive as gambling for some folks.<br /><br />Bidding over retail just to win is like betting an inside straight.<br /><br />There are more expensive ways to entertain one's self.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Like JB says, it's the only time some folks get called winners. Chief ;)

Moody Blue

Captain

Same thing happens at live auctions. The "I want it and won't be outbid" mentality takes over. I've seen people bid on items that still had retail price tags attached and ended up paying alot more. But they won the auction !!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

On the other hand-you CAN get some absolute bargains on there too :) I just bought a 3.3hp akicker for 99 pence-and it's in my town too.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I bought a few things. Sold a lot more. Easily 100:1 in my favor. I'm winning! :)

rwise

Captain

I buy a few things on e-bay, and have seen some things I bid on go way over what I can get it for local. Some people (my brother-in-law) just can't be outbid! He has paid over $50 for a "T" shirt, then his wife turned off the internet service! My self I bid what I will pay for it and check to see if I get it when its over, but I do see the addiction. Haven't sold anything yet hope when I do there are still some of those fools around!

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only use it occasionally, and I have always saved money on what I bought. But its like Bondo said I only pay what I think its worth and I dont care if I win or not. I like ebay myself, you can get some hard to find parts on there. anyway, just my 2 cents worth.<br />Later, :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You can find some real bargains if people put the lising in the wrong category or with words misspelled.<br /><br />I bought my dirt bike for dirt cheap cause the guy had it in the wrong category.<br /><br />Ken

one more cast

Captain

by ZmOz
I also look for auctions that end late at night, so there probably won't be a bidding war at the end..
HAAA I set my alarm for 4 am thinking I could get a better deal on a bunch of Moto Guzzi basket cases and the bidding war started about 10 Min's before the auction ended.