A few questions about 1990 Force 120.

rendog3

Cadet
Hopefully someone can help me out with a few questions, a new force owner. <br />Is it worthwhile to install a water pressure gauge?, it this simple enough to do yourself? <br />How do I test the overheat buzzer, just want to hear it and make sure it is working?...This one is important.<br />After decarb is done, is it reccommended to use a carb preventer(Ring Free) in the gas mixture?<br />Cable steering on an 18' Wellcraft CC w/ 120 Force, steering is pretty stiff at medium to WOT..is this normal for cable steering? At low speeds the steering is firm but ok.<br /><br />Thanks..this forum is great.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: A few questions about 1990 Force 120.

http://www.faria-instruments.com/cg...ge=marine&style=Euro White&id=GP9439&search=1 <br />check the above link this gauge reads surface head temp.I had this type of unit real easy to install on my 1994 force 120 hp @ now I just installed it on my 2003 yamaha. reads surface temp on the head as far as the ring free by yamaha it is 1 oz to 15 gal.of pre-mix gas .To check the temp.sending unit alarm turn key to on position and ground the wire from the sending unit a 12volt tester is what you need has a point to prob the wire and the clip to any ground

nolsh

Recruit

I have replaced my steering cable and helm as a kit. I bought the no backfeed type. Remove you cable and helm, measure the cable length and go from there. The manual states that the engine needs to be removed in order to feed the cable through the side of the aft compartment. After removing the batteries I had enough room. Having a buddy helps. Costs between 100. - 200. $.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rendog<br /><br />disconnect your steering cable nut and see if that will free up your steering ,sometimes the king pin or the tilt tube will freeze up .if your steering is ok with cable disconnected you have other problems.do not use ring free if you are using oil that already has ring free in it example [quicksilver premium plus ]. on your terminal block ground the wire going to your over heat sender this will test the alarm but not the sender.a tell tail kit is nice to install that way you can see the water flow we install them on engines that we service good luck bret If you need further assistance please email me @ forcepower01@yahoo.com. thanks,Bret

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the water pressure guage install is easy, and yes it is worth it. Its nice to have the guage in front of you so you can see it while driving. Buy a kit that includes the guage, tubing, and all fittings.<br /><br />Yes, use Ring Free or SeaFoam.