A few issues/questions

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First:

Has anyone ever converted a back-to-back seating arrangement to captain's chairs? My engine cover is rotted (the wood frame) and needs to be replaced, so I thought I would convert it into a straight cover and a full bench infront of it.

This would obviously cut into space rather severely, so I'd like to chuck my ugly, faded, torn, back-to-back seats in favor of a height adjustable, swiveling captain's chair for the helm, and a non-adjustable swiveling chair for the passenger side. Before, I used to sit ON TOP of the seat while pulling a tube to see infront/behind me. Some smart tabs would help, but, I'd like to be able to adjust the seat up.

Anyhow, what needs to be done to the floor/support structure to be able to hold the base of the chair? The last thing I want is my chair ripping out of the floor. Also, I'm a big guy (265).

The plywood you see is new and covers the gas tank. The carpet needs to be pulled/replaced anyhow, so I'm not worried about that. Also, I think I may TRY to re-do the floor while I'm down there. Below is a picture.

CFF60E642A034BFFBE825C9CFB47344C.jpg

Second question:

What compound should I use to seal up/cover some of the gouges/scratches in the front of the boat? The PO used the boat in the Missouri river a lot and as a result, it got fairly banged up.

6C43A82C49744785A244EF6442A2E5D1.jpg

Third Question:

What is this piece? It looks like a ground of some sort for the fuel lines? It's all sorts of corroded and I'd like to replace it.

F88F0050642A4DB9AD692477C8D56DDE.jpg

Thanks for helping a noobie boat owner out. And yes, I started with a project boat :cool:

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: A few issues/questions

I can't get them to show up here at work for some reason (tried a bunch of different things). Didn't have a problem in my other thread...photobucket must be acting funny.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, finally got them working and at a decent size.

Also, I assume this piece is my water/fuel seperator? The hose blew off of it last time I was out (duct tape to try to get us home) so I got a new hose/fittings. I'd like to replace the cansiter if posible while I'm down there.

8034C806A85A4A9A936D5AF1F9DFAC9D.jpg

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the captain's chair, get one with a flip-up bolster - I am SO glad I did, makes finding a good position to sit/stand while driving a ton easier. As for securing it, I guess it depends on what's underneath it. IF you can get to the bottom to thru-bolt great. If not, hopefully there is extra plywood in that area and you can lag bolt it in.

Want another layout idea? Here's what I did (had same idea as you originally, but decided the bench in front of the engine cover was too awkward). B-2-B on drivers side replaced by captains chair w/ bolster, front/back adjust, swivel mount. I moved the passanger B-2-B to the rear a bit so when opened up laying flat it can be used also as a lounge when sitting on the jump seat.

Behind the passanger seat, i added a 2-seat bench - just took the old B-2-B apart, fabricated a matching base, and put the seat cushions on it flat so not it's a stationary 2-seat bench, leaving leg room still to sit in the right jump seat.

This kept the room down the middle open yet maintained lots of seating options in the cockpit - we use them all from time to time. Also, because it's the original seat material, it looks fine.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would cust down on materials cost anyways.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The white rectangular device is a power resistor, typically used to drop 12V to 6V for a 6V coil. Often, the starter circuit bypasses this resistor to put full 12V across the coil to make a hotter spark during starting. Mind you , this is my assumption, knowing typical engines of older era's. This may not be what your resistor is used for, but it's proximity to the coil makes me believe that's what it's used for in this case.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe this would be better suited in the resto/rebuilding section?