A dilemma

macca123

Seaman
I recently purchased a Mariner (yamaha built) 40hp, engine no is Mariner 40e 6e9l 405360 which I am told is 1982 model what I want to do is this, I want to run the engine on the water, it starts and runs fine in a drum, compression I am told is 130 in each cylinder it does have issues with the lu seals need to be replaced (a bit of water in oil not much just makes the oil a bit off colour) also the prop is stuck solid, therefore the need to test the engine before spending serious money on it. It is hooked up to a 14ft aluminium boat new now my dilemma is I do not wat to bolt the engine to the transom at this stage will the c lamps done up very tight be fine for the test and when I test it what should I look out for btw the engine pumps heaps of water of course if the engine is a keeper the the impeller will be replaced anyway.

thanks

macca123

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A dilemma

What do you mean the prop is stuck solid? If that is the case you will have to remove the lower unit from the powerhead and do some gear work

macca123

Seaman

The prop is seized to the shaft (corosion) tried a puller and soaking with wd 40 no luck, so it will have to be burnt off and the rubber bush replaced or a new prop, but before I do this I want to test the engine what do I look for when I take it for a run, and will the clamps on the transom bracket hold it to the hull as I do not want to drill holes in my new hull yet as engine might be no good and have to get rid of it and get another engine. If the engine checks out then I am willing to spend some $ on it.

thanks

keith

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try using something stronger, like Deep Creep, spray and let it soak for a day before trying to separate it

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... will the clamps on the transom bracket hold it to the hull ...

Hi Keith,

IMHO. I can't see there being a problem with just a few runs on quiet water.... In the bad old days they used to put 80hp engines on boats with just the clamps... If it were me, I'd put a safety chain on it just in case. :D

Chris......

robert graham

Admiral

It's a 1982 and the prop won't come off. Makes me wonder if the rest of the motor has had any maintenance since new. Must be a salt water motor. It's gotta make you wonder. Good Luck!

macca123

Seaman

Thanks for the reply's, the reason I bought it was because it started and ran so easy, was lied to about the lu told it was fine and being lazy I did not check it out ,too trusting and also looking at the motor those 80's mariner/yamahas are very good quality, here's hoping that it runs well on the water. will let you know how it performs.

thanks again

keith

macca123

Seaman

I took the engine/ boat for It's maiden voyage to check out the engine, it ran pretty good it shot out of the hole with no hesitation and got to max revs pretty easy, gave it 6 1 mile runs near max revs actually I think the engine needs a bigger pitch prop as the weight of this boat is half of what it came off.
And the great news is that there was no water in the gearbox, why the water was milky before I do not know, now to find a prop this one is stuck solid and pretty battered.

thanks to all

keith

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

What was the RPM at WOT? If you weren't able to run wide open without exceeding the recommended RPM, try a prop with a higher pitch. You may want to wait and test again after you run w/ a typical load (people and gear).

macca123

Seaman

What was the RPM at WOT? If you weren't able to run wide open without exceeding the recommended RPM, try a prop with a higher pitch. You may want to wait and test again after you run w/ a typical load (people and gear).

It reved to 5500 rpm, there was more there but I wasn.t game to push it any further as there was a bit of vibration there the condition of the prop is not good, definatley needs a higher pitch, the hull is very light 13ft 6 inches in length and total weght being approx 800 lbs that includes me and all running gear.

thanks

keith