A couple Issues with a 454 OMC King Cobra

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 Four Winns Liberator with a 454 OMG King Cobra with a couple issues.

1. When I turn the key to start the boat, sometimes it does nothing, no click, no turnover, nothing. I play with the throttle (putting it in and out of neutral) and usually 5 or 6 tries later it will start.

2. When I am coming back to the dock (after I have been riding) and put it in neutral, when I put it in forward, it won't go, it acts like it is in neutral. However, if I put it in reverse (the reserves works) and then back in forward right away it will go into forward gear.

Anybody know what this is or what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: A couple Issues with a 454 OMC King Cobra

Two different problems with the same component(the shifter in this case), I would start troubleshooting there.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have a Cobra its the FORD 460 but thats not the issue. Then again it could be a Chevy but I never seen a Chevy hooked to a OMC drive. I do believe there is a safety switch in the shifter itself on your model, it is there to prevent the motor from starting in gear. I have an older OMC and have had this happen to me many times, pretty scary when its getting dark, you're are far from dock and in a cove. Go to leave, turn key and nothing. I have found with mine if I move the throttle forward a bit while turning the key it will engage. I have had my shifter apart, took a look at the microswitch and it seemed to be functioning. Although it does not happen as much, it still does from time to time. You can over ride it by jumping the wire but I don't recommend it.

The cobra had some shifting issues, you may want to go here and read all about it http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Uh...they did put the King Cobra behind a 454 in the early 90's (right after the 460!!! (In fact the 454 and 460 were available in the same year)

You are lucky. You should also have a Cone Clutch model too....If it's got a "hump" in the drive. Your main problem with that might be the electronic ignition system. If it breaks, you may have problems finding parts.

The problem now sounds a lot like a lower shift cable adjustment problem and/or a throttle quadrant/cable problem. (because your neutral safety switch is preventing you from cranking it sometimes)

YOU NEED TO GET IT FIXED though....if you let it do this for long it will break something. To start you need the correct year service manual. If you're not going to do it yourself you need to find someone that is at least familiar with the cone clutch Cobra. (any good Volvo Penta tech should be able to fix you right up!!)

Don't run it like this.

I had a similar problem.......I had a OMC 460 King Cobra in my Liberator.....I fixed it a different way....
bravoIII2.gif

Cheers,

Rick

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

Well I replaced the lower throttle cable and that did not resolve the issue. It looks like its the throttle. Now the button for throttle only is sticking. I think I have a big problem with the throttle. I bought a new one. They usually come with the hardware behind the throttle, correct? The stuff you don't see.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I bought this one It solved all my shift problems. most of them come with all the hardware needed to hook up to just about any engine OB I/O combination.