A Brother Officer is Killed in the Line of Duty

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class
A fellow police officer was killed on Wednesday answering a call of a domestic dispute.<br /><br />I knew the Deputy in passing, having seen him around on various calls, training, etc.<br /><br />I rushed home and put on a uniform, I'm a detective and dont wear one daily. <br />My agency assisted the Sheriff's Office by taking calls for them. We worked (4) 2 man cars taking calls in the zones surrounding our city. I was up at 0400 that morning as we served a search warrant on a drug house at 0500. I'm on the entry team. The shooting happened mid-morning, we coordintaed the media, provided traffic control, did what we could to assist at the local hospital where the 3 deputies were transported to. <br /><br />Remember these men in your thoughts if you would. <br /><br />LAKE KATHRYN -- A Lake County man suspected of killing one sheriff's deputy and wounding two others has been captured alive but injured, according a sheriff's spokesman.<br /><br />Jason Lee Wheeler, 29, of Lake Kathryn, was apprehended about 5 p.m. in a wooded area six miles southeast of his home. Wheeler was wounded and his injuries appeared to be worse than initially thought, Capt. Nick Pallitto said.<br /><br />Police tracked him with bloodhounds who picked up his scent. Wheeler had been shot but authorities said they didn't immediately know whether he had been hit during the morning shootout or before he was captured.<br /><br />He identified himself as Wheeler to police after the firefight this afternoon.<br /><br />"We were able to flush him out of the woods," said Lake County Sheriff Chris Daniels. "There was a confrontation. There was gunfire."<br /><br />Wheeler's capture put an end to a tense drama that began nine hours earlier when Lake County Deputy Wayne Koester was killed and two other deputies were wounded while responding to an assault complaint in a rural southeast area of the Ocala National Forest.<br /><br />According to investigators, the deputies each arrived in their own vehicles and were ambushed at a locked gate to Wheeler's house. Wheeler had a police scanner and knew deputies were coming, investigators said, and came out of the woods firing a sawed-off shotgun.<br /><br />Deputies Tom McKane and Bill Crotty were each shot in the leg and underwent treatment at the hospital. Their injuries were not life-threatening. Deputy Crotty is the brother of Orange County Mayor Richard Crotty, said Orange County spokesman Steve Triggs.<br /><br />"He's going to be OK," Triggs said.<br /><br />"You could hear shotguns, you could hear pistols. It sounded like a gun battle, and it went on for several minutes," said neighbor Paulette McKinnon. McKinnon said Wheeler's longtime girlfriend was with the deputies when the shooting began.<br /><br />McKinnon, who identified the woman as Sara, said Sara came to her house at the corner of Georgia Street and Hilda Avenue this morning asking to use her phone. Wheeler had held her hostage without food for four days, she told McKinnon.<br /><br />"She had bruises all over her," including on her wrists and ankles, McKinnon said. Sara told McKinnon she had had friends take her two small children to a motel earlier this morning.<br /><br />The deputies who responded inspected the house, found no sign of Wheeler and thought he had left, she said.<br /><br />"The last thing I said to them was, 'Please be careful. He's crazy,'" McKinnon said.<br /><br />They assured Sara it was safe and were driving her back down to the house on Hilda Avenue when the shooting began, McKinnon said.<br /><br />"Apparently he was lying in the woods, watching the house, knowing the police would bring her back there. And I think he meant to kill her," McKinnon said.<br /><br />Wheeler had recently warned a police officer that if police ever came to his house again, there would be a gun battle, McKinnon said.<br /><br />Authorities from Volusia, Seminole and Lake counties and the Florida Highway Patrol quickly fanned out in this densly wooded area to find Wheeler. "It's an intensive manhunt," Pallitto said.<br /><br />Officers cordoned off the area around Wheeler's home on Hilda Avenue in a rural neighborhood in the southeast portion of the Ocala National Forest. Along County Road 42, officers checked drivers and looked into vehicles. Traffic was backed up in all directions.<br /><br />Wheeler may have fled the scene on a motorcycle, according to some reports. A Honda 250 motorcycle was found shortly after the shooting at a landfill near Spring Creek Elementary School. School officials locked down the facility and nearby Spring Creek Elementary, school district spokesperson Janice Karst said.<br /><br />A Spring Creek kindergarten class on a field trip to the Paisley Post Office and library this morning became stranded when their school went on lockdown, district officials said. Postal workers kept the children inside their building, where they awaited word it was safe for children to return to school.<br /><br />Wheeler was eventually found in a wooded area six miles southeast of his home. Police tracked him with bloodhounds who picked up his scent. Wheeler had been shot but authorities said they didn't immediately know whether he had been hit during the morning shootout or before he was captured.<br /><br />He identified himself as Wheeler to police after the firefight this afternoon.<br /><br />Wheeler, who moved between the Ohio towns of Defiance, Napoleon and Grelton as well as Fort Lauderdale during the mid-1990s, has been arrested at least four times in Florida, including once in Lake County, records show.<br /><br />The Lake case involved charges of fleeing and attempting to elude deputies, driving with a suspended license, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, all misdemeanors. He pleaded no contest, was convicted in October 2001 and was sentenced to six months of probation and a $50 fine. He was also ordered to attend driving school.<br /><br />The sheriff's office said they have responded to eight disturbance calls at the Wheeler address since 2001.<br /><br />Wheeler's trouble with the law in Florida began in November 1994, when Fort Lauderdale police arrested him on a charge of possessing marijuana. Wheeler, who was 19 at the time, pleaded no contest, was convicted and sentenced to six months in the county jail.<br /><br />A year later, in October 1995, the Davie Police Department in South Florida charged Wheeler with possession of cocaine and resisting an officer with violence, both felonies. He also was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, also misdemeanors. He pleaded no contest to some of the charges and was sentenced to six months in the county jail. Records on how the cocaine charge, the most serious offense, was disposed of were not immediately available.<br /><br />Broward County deputy sheriffs arrested Wheeler in November 1995 on a charge of violating his probation from previous cases and resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor. How that case was settled was not immediately available.<br /><br />Koester is the first Florida law-enforcement officer to die in the line of duty this year and the 11th nationwide, according to The Officer Down Memorial Page. Six have been killed by gunfire. Last year, 12 officers died in Florida.<br /><br />The last Lake County officer to die in the line of duty was Deputy William J. Marie. Marie was chief pilot for the Lake County Sheriff's Office who died in a helicopter crash while flying a new department helicopter back from Connecticut in March 1994.<br /><br />The previous year, Deputy Jean Daugharty died in a traffic accident while responding to a domestic violence call in Sorrento. She was the first female officer to die in a traffic accident.<br /><br />In 1959, Mount Dora police officer Clinton Hyde was shot to death by a suspect<br /><br />A bootlegger shot Leesburg police officer Jessie Beerbower to death in 1944.<br /><br />And in 1924, Leesburg's first police chief, James Lee Hux, was also gunned downed by a bootlegger.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: A Brother Officer is Killed in the Line of Duty

Sorry to hear that bubba. Ft Worth lost an officer just a few days ago. Florida does have the death penalty right? Fry him.

bubbakat

Captain

It is a sad time for the friends nds and family of this officer.<br />I will remember his family in my prayers.<br />I to have had close calls on domestic call and anything can and most times does happen.<br />It is a blessing when you have two departments that can come togeather and help each other in these times of sadness.<br />Thanks for shareing trigger

Laddies

Banned

A number of years ago my neighbors brother who was a state trooper was shoot and killed in a traffic stop for know reason at all. After a 35 mile chase the killer was ran off the road and cornered in a field, surrounded by officers he commited suicide, I think he may have done that at the time he killed the officer. To bad more suicides don't take place it would save alot of money---Bob

KRS

Banned

God bless.<br /><br /><br />Listen here for a moment of silence.<br /><br /><br />Our thoughts and prayers.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) That incident was on the news here!!!<br />Sorry about the officer!!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear about the officer.<br /><br />That scumbag deserves to die, what a psycho.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well its to bad they took him alive.now we get to pay for a trail and listen to his lame excuses of a bad childhood and abuse.

D

DJ

Another of Americas Finest is lost. What a shame and for some low life in a "domestic dispute".

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

a sincere "best wishes " for the Officers family and loved ones Triggerr.<br /><br />take the high road......Honor.......

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey azfyrfyter63,<br /><br />I grew up in Rio Rico & Tucson. Attended Pima Community College in 1977 before moving to the Phx area.<br />Looks like your with Rural Metro. My minor in college was fire science. I was a fire fighter before I went law enforcemnt 20 plus years ago....small world eh?

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost forgot,<br /><br />The good news is the scumbag is paralyzed from the waist down & on a ventelator (sp?)

KRS

Banned

Small world indeed. You crossed over to the dark side ;) ;) <br /><br />Thanks for the Good News update..... is JB gonna poof us to the Good News Network :D