99 mercruser 502 loping in idle??

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just bot this boat and it has a 502 mercruser. this is my first inboard motor. the problem is when it's cold or after it hasn't been started for a few days it will lope up and down till it warms up good. plugs are new, fresh oil and filter and fuel filter. fuel is fresh with pri-g additive. i dropped it at the local dealer to fix but learned a few days later when i called that they are 3 weeks behind! i'm going to pick the boat up today and hopefully with the help from this baord et it figured out. i think it may be the MAP sensor. thanks for any help...james :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 99 mercruser 502 loping in idle??

Have you tried a good ole tune up. Cap, Rotor, and spark plugs?? Can we assume you have EFI?

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it looks like it has new wires on it. i pulled a few pulgs and the look new. it runs strong above idle. i'll pull the cap off and check it out...james

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

RPM variations like that can be caused by a few different things and even with the right diagnostic equipment can be tricky to diagnose. I would have someone look at it. It's usuallly not something serious, but I have seen this symptom on engines that were starting to ingest water due to bad manifolds/riser gaskets.<br /><br />Dave

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try vaccum gauge to check low idle adj. screw setting at carb. Research web sites for correct setting and adj. method.

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ya if you have EFI check for vaccum leak.