99 Johnson 50hp 2cyl? Any good?

SpearTub

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didnt know 2 cyl models existed above 25hp. Surely the 3cyl 50hp is better longevity wise and what about power?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 cylinder 50 HP was first marketed in 1971.----They made a lot of them since then.-----If you are looking at a used one then condition is everything !

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Take a compression tester and open air spark tester when shopping around (can use both using a pull starter if the electric starter is not working.) If the compression is even at perhaps 110-120, the motor can probably be brought back to life.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its been serviced professional. Compression is ok. My concern is the torque loss perhaps of a 2cyl vs 3cyl? And Are they auto oiler?

ahicks

Captain
The '99 50 is a great motor that will do anything a 50 should do. MANY have had the VRO (oil injection pump) bypassed with a new fuel pump and you mix your gas and oil from then on. MY 50's are all done this way as the VRO pumps are expensive to replace, and the OEM pumps are getting pretty old. Rubber parts are sturdy, but they aren't going to last forever.

I'd call the 40's and 50's (same motor pretty much) one of OMC's classics. There were a ton of them built, and many, maybe most, are still running fine. Work great on fishing and pontoon boats.

The 3 cylinder is a 55 and though it's a pretty good motor, many consider them trouble prone. 3 cylinder motors are nice from my standpoint. I've never had trouble getting them to run right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 3 cylinder was marketed for a few years as a 50 / 60 / 70 HP model.-----The service bulletin to relocate the tell tale came out in 1994 for the 56 cube models.----I think all factory 3 cylinder production after 1994 had the tell tale hose coming off the top of the block.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 3 cylinder was marketed for a few years as a 50 / 60 / 70 HP model.-----The service bulletin to relocate the tell tale came out in 1994 for the 56 cube models.----I think all factory 3 cylinder production after 1994 had the tell tale hose coming off the top of the block.
Please excuse the intrusion, this is interesting as I have a 1987 Johnson 3 cylinder 60 and will look soon for the location of the tell tale fitting. Can you link me to the SB regarding this ? or any other pertinent info ? THANKS

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Start by posting your model #----This service bulletin does NOT apply to the 49 cubic inch motors.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your motor----J60ELCUC-----Appears to be the 49 cubic inch block.-----That service bulletin DOES NOT APPLY.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The OMC/Johnson/Evinrude two and three cylinder loop charged motors (40hp+) are both essentially from the same family of motors with many virtually identical features. The two cylinder motors can generally be thought of as 2/3 of the three cylinder motors. The 3 cylinder motors should outperform the 2 cylinder motors. On the other hand the 2 cylinder motors are probably a bit more reliable... less parts less problems.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well ----2 stroke outboards rarely get a chance to wear out.-----They end of on the scrap heap because owners make mistakes.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well ----2 stroke outboards rarely get a chance to wear out.-----They end of on the scrap heap because owners make mistakes.
How true ! Same with chainsaws. I still have a saw I bought new in 1982. Cut chords of wood nearly every year since. Maintained religiously. Several bars, and many chains later, it still runs fine. (I never, EVER lent it out)

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I have a Lawn Boy 2 stroke self propelled (but now disabled) mower that will simply not die...

free road side garbage I picked up ! Changed the sparkplug and cleaned the carb.

I removed the green grass catcher plate cover and installed a modified aluminum plate leaving just a small 4x4 openning on top.

It is now my favorite branch shredder when I trim the threes every october!
I sharpen up the blade and in goes 1.5 inch wide poplar branches and out comes shredded branches :) ready for composting... just as good a a 800$ shredder !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I cut grass with a 1967 Lawn Boy 2 stroke.----Has the same power as when new.----Might put a new piston in it this winter.-----Just because I have a freebie on the bench .----And have the time.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think chucking away a 3cyl 2 stroke is a disgrace, such great low end grunt. Never owned a 2cyl so cant comment.

But its not hard to service as per service schedule, including oil pumps which if carefully looked after provide the engine with exactly the oil it needs, no way of providing exact premix to match this, its either too lean or too rich.

Where if a self oiler is maintained, unlikely carb issues or and gasket issues. And even if there is, its not rocket science to replace with pack of all the exact parts to fix. Its only if owners do something really really dumb like putting the throttle down when there is no oil. Thats where having a 4 litre sump or even just keeping oil in the boat solves the problem, I dont see why this is too hard for so many people who want to make life even harder by having to guess how much oil is required in a tank when you dont know how much fuel is left in there etc. No thanks, self oiling any day of the week.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think chucking away a 3cyl 2 stroke is a disgrace, such great low end grunt. Never owned a 2cyl so cant comment.

But its not hard to service as per service schedule, including oil pumps which if carefully looked after provide the engine with exactly the oil it needs, no way of providing exact premix to match this, its either too lean or too rich.

Where if a self oiler is maintained, unlikely carb issues or and gasket issues. And even if there is, its not rocket science to replace with pack of all the exact parts to fix. Its only if owners do something really really dumb like putting the throttle down when there is no oil. Thats where having a 4 litre sump or even just keeping oil in the boat solves the problem, I dont see why this is too hard for so many people who want to make life even harder by having to guess how much oil is required in a tank when you dont know how much fuel is left in there etc. No thanks, self oiling any day of the week.
the 56ci motors had the grunt, especially the oval port ones 1994 and up. the 49's were never that strong out of the hole, especially the 75's. im not sure why they even sold 75's to the public unless they were on a boat that was under 500 lbs. im a diehard OMC guy, but last summer got a Suzuki DT55 and it posted 2 mph faster than one of my 49ci 70hp motors! small gearcase helps there.

ahicks

Captain
OMC fan here too, unless there's a 4 stroke available.....

I like the twins because they just flat work on fishing and pontoon boats. Owners love them and they last forever with a minimum amount of maintenance. The 3 cylinder motors though, if they're right on those same fishing and pontoon boat applications, even though they are not a popular, they have an idle you're going to go a long way to beat. If you look at the 3 cylinder design you'll see they fire every 120 degrees of rotation (3 times for every revolution), where the twins fire every 180 degrees (twice per revolution). That can make a noticable difference in how smooth they run from idle speed on up into the mid range.