'99 Johnson 50 HP - Trim / Tilt Issues

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello-

I'm having some trouble with my trim /tilt. I have the boat on a trailer, and when I trim the engine all the way up, after about 10 minutes it is all the way back down. After I trim the engine all the way up, if I listen closely, I can hear the hydraulics slipping. I tried checking the fluid and when I open the fill plug a small amount of fluid comes out, so I assume that the fluid level is OK. (?)

I had the boat in the water last weekend and while I was cruising along I decided to trim the engine up a little. The hydraulics did not hold, and it quickly slipped back all the way down.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks for reading.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '99 Johnson 50 HP - Trim / Tilt Issues

It could be seals leaking in your t/t cylinder or some valve in the valve body. If you're going to repair this yourself, I'd recommend an OMC factory service manual. Is your manual release valve tight? You may want to pull that out and check the o-rings on it.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '99 Johnson 50 HP - Trim / Tilt Issues

Thanks boobie for the reply & advice. I'll double check that release valve & the o-rings on it. I'm not experienced enough, nor have the tools to tackle the repair of the cylinder, so I'll leave that to the pro if it comes to that.

Thanks again!