'99 ficht question

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice
1999 rude ficht 175 has a minor surge or skip in it at wot running 67 mph at 5300. too minor to see it on tach. but can feel it. dealer took it out with laptop connected and said it was injectors. he replaced ones laptop said were bad. still having same feel at wot only. took back to dealer and same results. have had back to dealer 4 times with same results. ANY SUGGESTIONS??????

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: '99 ficht question

Your motor is overpropped, it should be running close to 5800 for best results. You will notice a difference in acceleration and drivability. Change out your sparkplugs, gap to .028 and make sure they are indexed correctly. Decarbon the motor also, with those low rpms, it may take 2 or possibly 3 doses to clean out the soot and carbon.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

motor has only 17 hrs on it. was sitting on the shelf for 4 years when i bought it. will it have carbon and soot build up with that few hrs. on it? plugs have been changed. am running a 24 raker. have tried lower pitched props but lose too much speed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Is it only at total wide open? What if you back off 100 rpm?

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

i would say it does it somewhere between 5150 and 5300. seems to start at 65mph and above. could this be something in the way i have it set up and not engine problems?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Heres a thought. Running that prop at the speed and rpm means you are right at 0% slip. However, if we run the numbers at 6200 they come in at 12% or so which is very possible.<br /><br />Perhaps the tach is off and what you are getting is the rev limiter. What brand tach is it?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When the dealer had it hooked to the laptop was the T-flex tack accurate? The dealer should be able to give you a print out of the time spent in each rpm range. If the tach doesnt match the computer then we know the tach is off.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

he didn't say. i will call him this morning and see what he thinks about the tach. theory. will let you know soon. thanks for the help.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

just got off phone with him and he pulled printout from test. said i was running around 5200-5400 for the time i've had it. asked him about tach and he said it might be only 50 or so off but is close. he did say that the transducer might be causing problem. is 18" to 20" to side of prop but motor is on a 6" plate so it might be too close. what do you think? could transducer be causing this?

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

forgot, also have a speed pickup on the other side of the transome. but it is on the corner, i wouldn't think it would have any effect.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The numbers still dont make sense if the speed is accurate.<br /><br />You mentioned you tried lower pitch props. Have you tried more pitch?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm still a bit baffled about the numbers. If the tach is off and the motor is on the limiter, then trying a bigger pitch -- like a 26 or 28" Raker -- would drop the rpms to see if the miss went away.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

am going to prop shop this weekend and try a 25 renegade, 26 and 28 raker. will let you know what happened. thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Great! Dont be suprised if the other Rakers dont have the lift that yours has. The 24 is a darn good prop.<br /><br />Good luck!

CERF

Recruit

I have the same trouble with a 99 ficht 200. The injectors, computer, tps sensor all were changed.This motor was completely checked over by a factory man and I still have the hesitation.<br />I read somewhere else it could be the bracket that holds the crankshft sensor could be flexing, throwing the gap off at certain speeds. I sure would like any help on this. By the way this never started until the recall on the injector brackets was performed.