'99 ficht oil leak

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice
bought a 1999 rude ficht 175 a few months ago and only had a few hours on it, had been on the shelf for 4 years. came with a 30 day warranty. i pulled hood to look around before the warranty was up a few days ago, noticed oil leaking into the pan. took back to the dealer and they said it was normal for oil to leak out when you shut down motor at ramp and put on trailer. said there was nothing they could do to fix this. DOES THIS SOUND NORMAL????

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '99 ficht oil leak

Where is the oil coming from?<br /><br />If it's coming from the throttle bodies, it can be normal. Keep in mind the engine could still be in its break-in period and the computer automatically provides double oil for 5 hours of running (over 2000 rpm's).<br /><br />BTW - If you can store the motor trimmed all the way down, rather than tilted up, it will minimize the oil drippage.<br /><br />If the oil is coming from the oil pump or the oil injector or manifold, then something needs repair.<br /><br />-John

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

don't know where the oil is coming from. if you've ever looked under a ficht hood you will see why i can't find where it is coming from. these motors have so much protective covers on them i wonder why they even bother with a hood. motor has approx 14 hrs on it now so it should be past double oil period.

DMR Mechanic

Cadet

I have this problem to deal with on the 5 Ficht outboards we run. Check the oil lines for loose conections if the oil looks clean. If the oil looks dirty or dark in color, it is probably just what runs out the air intake when the motor is trimed all the way up. I take one of those oilsobs and cut it to fit under the air intake, hoses and cables. This seems to minamize the mess.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Damstriper....That's pretty normal on the Ficht's, when you tilt the motor up after running, the oil tends to run back out the air plenum intakes and pool at the bottom of the front of the pan. I have a 2000 150 hp Ficht and it does the same thing. If you want to pull the front cover off the air intake it's easy, there should be four rubber straps, two on each side, that you have to release and then there will be a sensor connected to the cover, on the starboard side, that you just have to pop off and then the cover will come right out, you have to do this anyway to fog in the winter. Once it is off you will probably see a little puddle in each intake throat, that is what is dripping down and there really is not much you can do about it, I do what DMR said and usually put something under there to absorb the oil. Good Luck.