99 70 johnson kill circuit problem

mopar56

Cadet
Hi guys I got a bit of a hair puller hear, hears the problem, I have no spark unless I remove the kill circuit wire (black wire with yellow tracer) from the 5 pin (two orange, one with black tracer, and two brown, one with yellow tracer and kill wire) connecter to the power pack, with the wire out of the connector there is spark of course you can not shut the engine off at the key though, with the wire installed I have no spark. So lets start at the beginning, the motor was running fine and it died, I had spark on the middle cyl only, I performed some ohms test and voltage test with peak voltage meter adapter and of couse unpluged some harness in the process after all of this I for some reason had spark on the top cyl and middle cyl, if I moved the primary lead on the coil the spark moved to that coil, so not the coil, plug, or lead, I changed the pack, new after market sierra pack, same problem, I had some irregular ohms readings on the stator so I changed it, no different, I then figured the only thing left, the timer base, had a good used one, changed that and the problem moved, I had spark on middle and bottom but not top, again after more test and unplugging harnesses I then discoverd I have spark to all cyls but only if I remove the kill circuit wire so I pinned out the main harness with and ohm meter and check for cross over in the harness, it is fine, I have a spare control box and tried that, its good as well, I figured it must be on the engine harness so I striped away the tape, it was clean, the only thing I didnt mention through this is I did find some green and two broken pins in the five pin harness mentioned earlier at the pack and it was after those were replaced with the proper emphenal connectors that I got good clean spark except for when the kill wire is in the five pin, this has the late modle deutch harness and box, there is two five pin connectors at the pack and one three pin, along with a ground and the three primary leads, the last thing to add is if I unplug the three pin harness at the top of the head which goes to the temp sensor and solinoid I think, I do breifly get spark but then it goes away, dose any one know what the heck is going on here? thanks, Ed

mopar56

Cadet
Re: 99 70 johnson kill circuit problem

Just an update...for now I took the kill circuit wire from the five pin at the pack and cut the wire and ran it forward through a toggle switch to ground, not the way to do it but the motor starts nicely and can be shut off and on using the key and toggle, please lete know if you have any ideas as I want this right, thanks