99 250 EFI Dropping a Cylinder

24gradyexp

Cadet
I've got a 99 250 EFI Merc with an intermitten ignition problem (Cylinder cuts out then comes back then will cut out again like someone flipped a switch. Could it be diagnosed by hooking up to test equipment at a dealer or should I just do the old process by elimination theory. With that should I disconnect and ground the sparkplug or the disconnect the plug from the ECU and Stator to the coil.<br /><br />Thanks

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 250 EFI Dropping a Cylinder

Is it the always same cylinder? If so I would switch coils w/ another clyinder & see if the problem moves. If it does you probably have a bad coil. If the problem remains w/ the original cylinder, I would bet on the stator being bad. Good Luck, Joe

24gradyexp

Cadet

I don't know what cylinder it is yet, Does not do it all the time. I was just wondering if the if the Mercury DDT would tell met that to save me time. I would just have the marina pay the marina to hook it up fee rather than spend the time trouble shooting it . It is a brand new stator as I previously had a bad stator coil on # 3. I suppose I could just put a new spark plug coil in one place and rotate it from there but was looking at saving some time using the DDT

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are willing to pay the diagnostic time bill, a good mechanic can pinpoint your problem. I was just trying to give a few sugestions on doing it yourself to hopefully save a few bucks. If you have a good mechanic that you do business with, & the time is worth more than the money to you, then by all means give him the job. Or maybe you'll watch him and pick up a few tricks, that can be worth more than the money. Good Luck, let us know how it turns out. Joe