98 taurus water pump

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice
I got a 98 taurus that the water pump went out in. I was looking at it tonight, hoping this was something I could do myself and I think I can. I noticed that there was only one outlet on the pump, a 3/4 hose coming off the top. I have replaced water pumps on older vehicles and I thought there was a larger hose on the bottom and a smaller hose on the top. Does the intake of this pump come through the block?? Also if any one could tell me the easiest way to take off the serpentine belt I would appreciate it. I also thought I would replace the belt while I was at it unless this would be a whole lot easier by leaving the old one in. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it was dark and about 1 degree above zero when I looked at it.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 98 taurus water pump

As far as removing the belt goes, just put a wrench on the belt tensioner pulley to get some leverage and pull to release the tension on the belt. It'll basically fall off. Reverse to reinstall. The only hard part about the Taurus is there's not much room in there to get a wrench down to the tensioner, so it's a knuckle-skinner.