'98 SPX Performance Update

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Hey Gents,

I have a '97 SPX that has been modified. It has a Solas impeller, intake, rebuilt powerhead by SBT, aftermarket tuner pipe, etc...

Now my trouble. I had it for a couple hours, and all was well. Then I THINK I sucked up some seaweed and overheated it. It suddenly bogged down and I had no power. Limped back to shore.

Now I found that the gasket between the manifold and the pipe (square one) failed and was leaking water onto the aftermarket intake. It got wet and wasn't allowing air into the carb, hence no power. When I pulled the intake power was restored.

Now that wasn't the end of my problems. There was a rubber 5"ID sleeve to attach the tuner pipe to the exhaust. It had melted and exhaust was also choking out the motor. I replaced this with something I found at a hardware store, but melted again. I checked and the water was entering the exhaust to cool it. Bought the original clamp from dealer (80 bucks) but it is too large. Around 6" ID I think, but the exhaust portion of this motor looks stock??

SO....what do I do from here to get back on the water!>

Cheers

Last edited:

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '98 SPX Performance Update

you either have a restriction inthe cooling system or a propulsion issue, causing no water to enterthe cooling system. The motor gets its water from the pump assy. If their isnt a tight tolerance between impellor and wear ring, you'll burn up your motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I have the water lines mixed up? What line should the one with the winterizing fitting be the IN arrow of the powerhead or OUT?

The pipe is a Rossier anyone tried it is it worth the hassle? Any extra hp?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

And I have a 97 not 98 if that matterrs

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

makes alot of difference. You went from posting, a 800cc engine to 720cc engine...COMPLETELY different animals.

The "winterizing" line, should be the OUT from head. I want to say, you need to tap into a RPM line, to make the solenoid work correctly..if not, you';; burn up the coupler hose...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry can you elaborate in your last point, I'm not sure what you mean

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there should be a water solenoid, for the rossier pipe. It needs to read a rpm signal, for it to work. If its not functioning correctly, you'll burn up the rubber coupler from exhaust to muffler.

You mentioned about what "waterlines" go where, to the head. The "winterizing" line, needs to be the "out" fitting, off the head.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is interesting! Never heard of that. I definitely do no have any type of water solenoid. The tuner pipe was simply swapped with the original. Only thing going to it is a water line from the head, just above where the coupler keeps melting. Not sure if Im using the right material for a coupler though.

On a side note, wouldn't the winterizing fitting need to be on the IN line, so that the water, or antifreeze goes into the motor? Not doubting you, just trying to learn what is going on here.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no, the "in" line, would be filled via the water being "compressed" from within the pump. Being a 97, there SHOULD be a watrer hose "spout" sticking out, the back of the ski, in 11 o'clock position. There, is where you "winterize". All its doing is pushing the water backwards and "bleeding" out, in the pump and exhaust. Either way, coolant will settle in the cylinders and head...

Type in 720 rossier pipe, and you'll find the info on the water solenoid...

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

And I have a 97 not 98 if that matters

The 97 - 99 spx are the same ski. They all have the 787 power valve motor. It was first launched in 95 as the "XP 800" then in 96 as just the XP. It's known as the X4 hull, some say it's the best ski sea doo ever made and has cult following.

The 96 and back SPXs are the smaller motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have to admit, while it ran for a couple hours it was the most fun Ive ever had on the water! With the Solas impeller, Rossier pipe, intake, rebuilt SBT powerhead, sponsons on the body, finger throttle, it is a FUN ski to ride for sure. Hope I can figure this all out before the end of the year.

Great info here! So what is the difference between the SPX and the 95 and 96 XP?

Also, I have a primer, not a choke. Is that factory or maybe carbs changed?

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Lots of good reading, and I see that a lot of other guys have had the same problem, but out of the hundreds of threads Ive read cannot seem to find any that have had a good answer as to how to route the water lines to prevent the rubber sleeve from melting.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, aftermarket...its easier on the starter. ANd yes, Brian 26 is right, confirming the motor size for the 97-99 SPX. I had the "green" spx, thinking it was a 720...doh.

FYI, i started with a 98gts / 720..installed a decked head, rossier pipe..etc, and kept blowing apart that damn coupling, even with the solenoid. Later down the road, i saw that, who i had install it, the "rpm" signal wire, had fell off, thus, solenoid laying dormant.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

So what is the difference between the SPX and the 95 and 96 XP?

Basically nothing.

The 95 XP was a 720 motor, the 95 XP 800 is the sought after 787 motor. And some of those are the "X" motor, the holy grail (not sure why).

But the XP and SPX are the same they just changed the name. Not much. They used some different water boxes and nozzles and probably some other small differences.

If you ever need parts check out Westside Powersports in MN, Nick knows everything about 2 stroke seadoos and has every part in stock.

Westside powersports/

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Neither. They come from the factory with a choke but it's pretty common to remove that and install a primer kit on the stock carbs. Of course your carbs could be aftermarket.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok great thanks a lot.

Just curious about water lines now. If anyone has had this issue, and solved it please let me know. I have been reading hundreds of threads online, but haven't seen any solutions posted yet.

Cheers

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know, sorry. Did you try seadooforum and pwctoday? tons of x4 info on there, guys that know every nut and bolt.