98 Merc 5.0/Alpha fuel pump ?

okboating

Seaman Apprentice
Hey gang, quick question. I usually can get my questions answered by checking out other threads, but this one has me perplexed.
I have a 98 starcraft deckboat. It has a 5.0 in it. The previous owner spliced in a pump bulb on the fuel line because in certain situations it will run out of fuel If you take off to fast, if you shut down to fast after a fast run. Any way, when I bought it, he told me about this and even offered the electric auto fuel pump (that he never installed) to fix the problem. I said no thanks, and have used it about five times now, and would really like to fix this. I am assuming that this really is the pump, because when it acts up, if you give it a couple of pumps on the primer bulb it runs fine.
My question is, what is the right fuel pump? The serial # on the flame arrester cover is 0L043471, I can bring this up in parts diagrams and the fuel pump does not match what I have. The diagrams shows a fuel pump and cooler, I seem to only have the pump. Is this the right serial # Could my flame arrestor cover be wrong, where are other sn's.
Thanks a bunch!
Dave

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 Merc 5.0/Alpha fuel pump ?

Sounds like more of a fuel supply/ delivery problem then a pump problem if the motor operates after you pump the ball.Try running on a outboard tank directly to the fuel inlet fitting on the pump.before spending money.

okboating

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 98 Merc 5.0/Alpha fuel pump ?

Is there a simple way to construct a temp fuel tank? They look to be around $35 or so, and I would probably need to come of with some other adapters.
Dave