98 jeep gk 113miles. front axle bad?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer
hello, bought my daughter a 98 grand cherokee larado. car looked good all around, it was burried on the lot, and was 40 mile from home, dealer was professional, gave a 30day warranty and a PENN INS warranty for 6months and 75k miles. seemed good,<br /> So i take it to my local jeep dealer and they do a check over and tell me 1 needs new brakes all around, not the end of the world lining and rotors all around 140. the bad news was the front axle, need replacement. dealer cost 940, insurance/warranty payment maybe 700. if they approve after ive committed to the repair. law suit later i suppose.<br /> question is whats in repairing a front end diferential, junk unit worth the effort.cost. <br />quick help appreciated, will need to move on this. thanks

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 98 jeep gk 113miles. front axle bad?

What did they say they found wrong with it???<br /><br />What transfer case is it equiped with and did you notice anything wrong with the front axle or differential???<br /><br />A ring and pinion gear set should be 300 max, bearing set 100, shim pack 35, axles w/cv joints not more that 150 each and about 4 - 6 hours to do the job. These are canadian dlrs so you should get by with much less. I've bought all these parts in the last 4 months for doing the diffs in a 94 mustang, a 92 cougar and the front axles with cv joints in my 96JGC so the prices should be pretty close. <br /><br />Don't see why the diff would be trashed and you had no idea bout it. :confused: <br /><br />JD

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

hi, they didnt break it down, they inspected the oil and found metalic, it ride noisy,but ok,and even in two mode it seems engaged. the mpg is only 13.5 at best, while my allwheel drive grand k does 18-19,, i suspect the dealer may be high balling me also, and the insurer isnt really wrong to protect his intrest. just the dealer is not living up to his word.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have the full time 4wd quadratrac or the part time selectrac?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

i have a quadratrac in the 94, and selectrac in the 98 with the bad front axle.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

i suspect that i will have the dealer break it down as the insurer demands and replace the parts needed instead of a wholesale repair as the dealer is demanding. my part if the dealer doesit is 27.5o per hour labor and the supplies for the job, the dealer estimated that my participation is about 275. and maybe the insurer will nail that down to a resonable figured too, then ill go after the dealer that sold me the car if its worth it

Mod4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moved to Non-Boating Technical.