98 Grand Cherokee A/C

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At the beginning of the summer, the A/C on my Grand Cherokee stopped blowing cold. Local shop put some dye in the system and found that the core behind the firewall was leaking. The evaporator canister (right name?) under the hood was pretty rusted as well. The shop replaced both parts and the A/C worked great.<br /><br />Not that it isn't unbelievable hot here in Florida, I tried to use the heat, and it does not work. Took it back to the shop and the tech said the calibration on the air blender door was off. He did some research to fix it and decided removing the car battery for a while would fix it. <br /><br />One other note, the A/C and heat controls are the normal ones where you turn a dial for the temp, not the fancy digital ones.<br /><br />My wife mainly drives the Jeep, so I didn't check it myself after it was re-calibrated. Over the weekend, I did, and it does not blow hot air at all.<br /><br />Anyone have any suggestions on how to try and trouble shoot this thing myself. We can take it back to the ship, but my wife is on bed rest until the impatient baby she is carrying decides to be born (which is anytime between now and mid January)<br /><br />Scooch

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 98 Grand Cherokee A/C

Something that was installed was not tight enough and may have vibrated lose... or another part of the old system decided to go. Your system is only as strong as the weakest point.<br /><br />The cheapest way out may be to add a can of r-134 to the system and see if it blows cold. Then start tracing down the leak.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think its leaking, I just thing the mechanizsm that controls the door that allows the hot air from the heater core into the system is not working.

elmo

Seaman Apprentice

i'm with you scooch, you got a problem with the temp control door inside the air box. the controls are either manual ( cable controlled ) or vacuum controlled. manual cable adjustment can be done by removing glove box to access cable on top of air box. ( usually ) disconnecting the cable will allow you to move the door to full heat or full cold...... but if your mechanic replaced the evap core in that air box, you have a valid complaint and i'd address him about it, he probably had the entire system disconnected during the part replacement and didn't get it reinstalled correctly, it happens, no disrespect to him intended.