'98 Explorer owners: does your tranny whine?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
That's Ford, not Microsoft Explorer! ;) <br /><br />Test driving a '98 2WD V6 automatic w/88k miles, I can hear the transmission, sounds sort of like it's winding down as I coast from maybe 50mph down to 30 or so. Shifts smooth, no sound on acceleration or cruise. It's like the sound a car makes if you downshift to use the engine for braking down a hill, if that makes sense, only not nearly so loud. The A/C blower on high speed practically masks it. It's not enough to be obviously wrong, but it's nagging me a little.<br /><br />I drove a different '98 same drive train about the same mileage, sounded just the same. Does this sound normal? I'm getting this car checked by a mechanic tomorrow, but I sure would like to hear from some owners if they hear this noise.<br /><br />Thanks a bunch,<br />jtw

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: '98 Explorer owners: does your tranny whine?

Are you sure its not the power steering, they are known to make a wining noise. Does it do it when the vehicle isnt moving and you rev the engine some?<br />--------------------<br />
factory_gears_md_wht.gif

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Nope, Lubedude, just when coasting. Sounds normal when stopped and all other times, although the engine sound could be masking it during acceleration. My first thought was tire noise, but I'm convinced it's not that.<br /><br />It sounds like a normal transmission sound, no clunking or grinding or squealing or jerky motions or anything, but I just don't know if it should be audible inside the pax compartment. The tach behaves like you would expect throughout the slowing-down/stopping process. Maybe I'm just a little nervous about a car with this many miles - couldn't afford a new tranny right away.<br /><br />It hasn't been used for towing - no hitch, no wiring & the ball recepticle on the bumper hasn't got any marks around it.<br /><br />Thanks for the input,<br />jtw

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I had the same "roaring" type noise in my 94 ford ranger. Usually only at lower speeds though. It never created a problem, but I did trade it in around 90K. I used it to tow a 18ft larson bowrider.<br /><br />I never did find out what it was but it never created a problem.<br /><br />Sorry for the kind of "non-answer" to your question.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

no, that's a good non-answer, thanks!

LubeDude

Admiral

If you are really interested in it, have the owner let you do a transmision service, drop the pan and replace the filter, have it flushed also. If there is a little plastic plug looking thing inside the pan, then the trans has never been serviced. Those plugs are popped out from the dipstic tube at the factory. There are in there running around untill the first service. Its (the wining), probably nothing to worry about.<br />-------------------<br />
factory_gears_md_wht.gif

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

My '98 4WD V6 50k miles doesn't whine. The Wrangler tires on it are a bit noisy.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure about the explorer that you are looking at, but I have a 93, and I learned that the automatic transmissions on the Explorers are notoriously poor.<br /><br />In fact, in the Yellow Pages under transmission repair, one company's add featured a Ford Explorer.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the responses. After riding in a couple other vehicles I am now convinced that I heard a normal sound, it just got blew up out of proportion by my paranoia. Sorry about that. Explorer transmissions do have horrible reputations, like wilkin said, but in '95 they beefed it up a little, then introduced a new tranny in '97 with a new engine design.<br /><br />But I do appreciate your time.<br /><br />jtw