98 evinrude DI 90hp

Alex2023

Cadet
I have a 1998 90hp evinrude DI engine that will not idle unless u give it a good amount of throttle. As soon as you idle it down it will die. I have new fuel tank, new fuel bulb and line with good firmness on the bulb, new plugs, also engine has good compression on all cylinders. I am stuck on what to do any help would be appreciated

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Could be fuel flow restrictions. Will idle improve if you pump the fuel bulb ??

have you checked the filters , including the VST injector return fuel line filter into the VST which may have a small conical filter pluggeg up. early books don'T show it till around 2008 on ETEC VSTs

Hose barbs on te VST crack EASY...$$$$$ PROCEED WITH CAUTIION if you decide to inspect . Broken VST is $$$ and mostly...nla

check fuel pressure to injectors

how long has it been since the injectors where serviced processionnaly ?

do you have EV diagnostic software to check for fault codes ?

here is a book you can download to read up on FICHT engines... not 1990 but close enough

here is a case of poor idle and causes....for referrence

The ETEC owners board does not support FICHT but you can search.... it it helps

Attachments

• VST filter in 2011.JPG
    VST filter in 2011.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Alex2023

Cadet
I bought the engine not to long ago it claimed to be running, only filter that I have changed was the water/fuel separation filter. I didn’t know there’s small filter @#7 il check it tomorrow. On the VST just check where the line goes on the barb, meaning the inside of both ?

Alex2023

Cadet
Could be fuel flow restrictions. Will idle improve if you pump the fuel bulb ??

have you checked the filters , including the VST injector return fuel line filter into the VST which may have a small conical filter pluggeg up. early books don'T show it till around 2008 on ETEC VSTs

Hose barbs on te VST crack EASY...$$$$$ PROCEED WITH CAUTIION if you decide to inspect . Broken VST is $$$ and mostly...nla

check fuel pressure to injectors

how long has it been since the injectors where serviced processionnaly ?

do you have EV diagnostic software to check for fault codes ?

here is a case of poor idle and causes....for referrence

The ETEC owners board does not support FICHT but you can search.... it it helps
Idle doesn’t improve with bulb being pumped and I don’t have access to the softwares

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
ok so the lift pump is not the issue . if not adventurous and with so few shops wanting to work on FICHT ( no training , no info, no desire etc...) you may need to take time and read the manual provided and go one step at a time. STart with good electricals starting with battery connection ! no wing nuts (EMM killers) !!

do not test ignition in open air as EMF pulses can damage the EMM $$$$$
use an induction spark checker see cautions in the book. keep the ground clip away from sensors and the EMM

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I bought the engine not to long ago it claimed to be running, only filter that I have changed was the water/fuel separation filter. I didn’t know there’s small filter @#7 il check it tomorrow. On the VST just check where the line goes on the barb, meaning the inside of both ?

AGAIN... BARBS crack easy !!! check for conical filter#7 which you can pull out with a large wood or metal screw twisted enough to just grab and pull.

SINGLE filter can be replaced or cleaned with air/carb cleaner

Alex2023

Cadet
ok so the lift pump is not the issue . if not adventurous and with so few shops wanting to work on FICHT ( no training , no info, no desire etc...) you may need to take time and read the manual provided and go one step at a time. STart with good electricals starting with battery connection ! no wing nuts (EMM killers) !!

do not test ignition in open air as EMF pulses can damage the EMM $$$$$
use an induction spark checker see cautions in the book. keep the ground clip away from sensors and the EMM
New battery and I have regular hex nuts to the leads and by open air testing ignition I’m guessing u mean do jump the spark between the boots and the block ? And I can pick a spark tester up.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
plugs must be grounded properly see comments #6 and #7 from another E-TEC case

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
First thing to do is a compression and spark test. Personally I would sell the motor for parts and buy a carbed 2 strk for it. People can tell your to fix it all they want ,but that motor went obsolete within 5 yrs of being produced. 20 yrs later fixing that motor is a fools errand

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Done some reading on FICHT and the bigger engines 150 + were truly a pita it seems

but....also see good comments on the 115 or less by satisfied customers.

if no big mecanical issues come up or faulty EMM $$$$$ or rare/nla parts
there may be hope...... but lots of reading to do ....

Last edited:

Alex2023

Cadet
Done some reading on FICHT and the bigger engines 150 + were truly a pita it seems

but....also see good comments on the 115 or less by satisfied customers.

if no big mecanical issues come up or faulty EMM $$$$$ or rare/nla parts
there may be hope...... but lots of reading to do ....
Sorry haven’t been on here been called into work all week, did have time to look at that filter and there wasn’t one present, also get the fuel line pressure and it was good i ordered new coils and plug wires to be on the safe side, I also ordered the soft where to pull any codes

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
without the conical filter #7 in the vst any degrading hose chunks or bits from a 25 old hose will be redirected into the HP pump and may reach the injectors.

were injectors ever serviced ?? if you do take them out mark them and always reinstall in the same position !!

the fuel pump can be taken out of the VST to check for plugged HP filter.

check for utubes on the subject see injector basic process if your are adventurous :)
not ficht but......

Last edited:

Alex2023

Cadet
without the conical filter #7 in the vst any degrading hose chunks or bits from a 25 old hose will be redirected into the HP pump and may reach the injectors.

were injectors ever serviced ?? if you do take them out mark them and always reinstall in the same position !!

the fuel pump can be taken out of the VST to check for plugged HP filter.

check for utubes on the subject see injector basic process if your are adventurous :)
not ficht but......
I apologize I have been gone for the army,
I did some research and found these motors are not to be ran on premix, the person before me had this engine set up for premix I am currently ordering parts to covert back to original,

My current question is , is there a way to test the oil pump I turn the key and it makes no noise coming from the oil pump

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop----Do not spend any beer tokens at this time.----Well ,---if he ran it on premix you need to post your actual numbers.-----Fuel does not go through the crankcase like a conventional 2 stroke.-----It would have starved the bearings of oil !---Cylinders would have suffered too.-----If he ran it that way for some time it might be SCRAP.

tphoyt

Ensign
First of all Thank You For Your Service.
As for the motor do yourself a favor and unload it. I know several people that have spent loads of money on repairs and still were left stranded and looking for a tow back to the ramp just about every time they went out. There are a few lucky people out there but not many.
Best of luck