97 Yamaha 2 stroke

ntrimmer

Recruit
Ran the motor mid-March in the driveway for the first time this year to make sure everything was working properly. After about 20 minutes of running the boat motor shut off. I assumed I was out of fuel (fuel gage doesn't work). Went to put the boat in the water on Sunday afternoon (after I refueled) and I couldn't get the motor to turn over at the launch. Tried two different times, the second time I loaded it up with starter fluid and it turn over for about 2 seconds and shut off again. I'm thinking its the fuel pump. Boat is a 94 KeyWest 1720

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Not turning over to me means the starter motor is cranking the motor. But then you report that it turned over for about two seconds, presumably having run for a few seconds.

Is it not cranking or is it not starting or is it starting but not continuing to run?

ntrimmer

Recruit
Not turning over to me means the starter motor is cranking the motor. But then you report that it turned over for about two seconds, presumably having run for a few seconds.

Is it not cranking or is it not starting or is it starting but not continuing to run?
It cranks, when I was sitting on the boat ramp yesterday it was trying to turn over and run but just wouldn’t. It cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn’t run.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Could well be the fuel pumps.

Try using the primer ball to fill the carburetors. Crank the motor and see if it will start. If it starts, runs and then dies, have someone use the primer ball to refill the carburetors and then have them keep pump the ball while the motor starts and hopefully runs. If it keeps running while the ball is pumped, but then dies when the ball is not pumped, then that would indicate to me the fuel pumps are not getting their job done.

Is the prime start lever set to the automatic position?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
check for spark and timing with a timing light and also open the drains on the carb bowls to see if they have fuel.
need good compression,good spark at the correct time, and proper fuel to air ratio in the cylinders to start and run

ntrimmer

Recruit
Could well be the fuel pumps.

Try using the primer ball to fill the carburetors. Crank the motor and see if it will start. If it starts, runs and then dies, have someone use the primer ball to refill the carburetors and then have them keep pump the ball while the motor starts and hopefully runs. If it keeps running while the ball is pumped, but then dies when the ball is not pumped, then that would indicate to me the fuel pumps are not getting their job done.

Is the prime start lever set to the automatic position?
My primer ball was still hard after it cut out on the ramp the other day.