97 sunbird sizzler vs 94 bayliner reflexx

jprice

Seaman
Looking to make my first boat purchase.
It will mainly be used for cruising around on the lake, having lunch on the water, maybe pulling a tube, but nothing fancy.

Right now I'm looking at 2 boats (both the same price, $2200), a 97 sunbird sizzler, and a 94 bayliner reflexx. The sizzler has a 115hp OMC? engine, and the reflexx has a 90hp merc sportjet.
I'm going to take them out first, and have a mechanic check them out, but assuming they're both mechanically sound, is there any compelling reasons to choose one over the other?

I'm kind of leaning toward the sizzler just because it's newer. But bayliner is a more recognizable name to me (not that that makes them better... heck, i really don't know much about boats in general).

Just looking for any advice.
Thanks.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 97 sunbird sizzler vs 94 bayliner reflexx

I am assuming these are both jet boats, the reflex obviously is. The 90 sportjet is not the most durable or powerful engine on the water, lots of folks have stator and ignition failures that are expensive to fix; and even new out of the box the boats arent that fast - mid 30s tops.

I am not as familiar with the OMC engine, but having a mechanic check both is the smart thing to do. I personally think that you will be happier with a conventional I/O runabout; a 3.0 merc powered 17' bowrider will be quieter, faster and and more fuel efficient.

jprice

Seaman

Thanks Steve.

Yes, they are both jet boats.
I've been looking at this style (the 14' jet boats) mainly because of size. I live in a subdivision where you couldn't store something like this in the yard (not to mention my small yard couldn't fit it anyway). So it has to go in the garage.
I still have to measure the exact length of these boats (with trailer included). But the whole thing has to be less than 18'. So I don't think I could have any boat bigger than 15'.

If I want to get something bigger, I'll have to rent a slip on the lake. Since this is my first foray into boating, I'm not really ready to do that yet.

The good thing about the reflexx boat is that according to the owner, the CDI, Stator, plugs, and battery were replaced this year. Plus the carbs were cleaned. So it sounds like it's in pretty good shape.
Anyway, I'm going to see it tonight, and if it looks good I'll ask to take a test run this weekend.

I'll post back here with any more questions.
Thanks again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you were interested in a more traditional boat.....you can get a trailer with or modify an existing trailer to have a swing-away tongue allowing you to more fully utilize your available garage space. Just saw this thread on the forum the other day showing the installation of this impressive piece of hardware: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=350386

jprice

Seaman

Thanks ezmobee. I'll keep it in mind if I find a 16 or 17 footer in our price range.

So I went to see the reflexx tonight. Looked in really good shape for something 15 years old. Hull was clean and shiny, and the engine compartment was squeaky clean. The seats were a little dirty and faded, and a few splits at the seems, but not too bad.
The bad part was the damn thing wouldn't turn over! He swore he had it out on the lake last weekend... who knows. I told him if he could get it running that I'd like to go for a test ride on sunday. Planning on taking the sizzler out for a test ride on saturday.

Hopefully one of these two turns out to be in good running shape. Right now I'm just worried about getting a clunker.

sfborn

Cadet

Did you get the Sizzler? We are looking at a '98 Sizzler in excellent condition (almost too good...may have been sitting in storage for years.)
Never had a jet. I know they are harder to turn than outboards, but not sure what other downsides there are.