97 seadoo xp won't start

paulywog

Recruit
Hi I am very new to the sport and I bought a 97 seadoo xp about 2 months ago and it has been running awesome! But this weekend I put it in the water and tried to start it at first it was cranking and then it just stopped now it does not turn over at all but there is a black box where the engine is and I can here a click coming from there when the start button is pushed. could it be that i fried the starter relay? If anyone could help that would be awesome

kneedragger

Seaman
Re: 97 seadoo xp won't start

Your battery is dead.

Start with a freshly charged battery,or a new battery, and new set of spark plugs.

If your seadoo has been sitting for some time, and you have the traditional lead acid battery (like sold at Wal-Mart) for motorcycles, your should either replace it or charge it depending on its age.

paulywog

Recruit

I am Canadian not sure if you are but it is a battery from Canadian Tire. The only thing is when i put it on the charger it read a full charge and when i switched the charger to "start" it was the same result is it still possible that the battery is dead? And thank you for the quick reply I truly appreciate it!

Northern-Monkey

Recruit

It could be a number of things buddy! ive had the same problem.

The starter could be on its way out.
it could be the solenoid.

Do have you tryed the solenoid? try putting a screwdriver between the 2 Red wire in the electrical box. if the engine does not crank then that could be your problem

paulywog

Recruit

I have not triesd that I am new to this so I really have no idea where to start so I will try that. Now this may be a stupid question but there is a box at the fromt of the seadoo and i beleive one at the rear which box are you talkijng about? sorry for all the questions

Northern-Monkey

Recruit

Questions are good lol :)

Where the clicking is coming from that is classed as your rear box.

Now.. the solenoid is the item that has the 2 red wires going into the box and into the solenoid. get a screwdriver and touch those two red wires together that should crank the engine. If the engine cranks its not your solenoid, so that rules that out to be either...

Starter Motor
Earth Lead on the starter motor.

Try giving the starter motor a bang it may be jammed. if the starter is the problem then if you dont have the correct tools you will have to take it to a dealer. exhaust has to come off and carbs, to get to the starter

paulywog

Recruit

thanks i will try that out so u dont think it could be the battery then? the other thing is in order for that test to work the key must be in?and do i need to push the button at all?

Northern-Monkey

Recruit

No, you dont need the dess key in to jump the solenoid. Neither do you need to push any buttons.

you will find out if it is the battery if it does not crank or sound very weak cranking over. or you could get a multimeter on the battery and you should have 12+ Volts

paulywog

Recruit

Alright thanks so much I am going to start there this weekend and I will keep you posted on how things go! And again appreciate the help

95Z212

Cadet

Just a 'tip' I was given. I was told to fire your Sea Doo on the trailer,lift, floating dock like mine first to warm the engine. Otherwise you will just kill your battery because your trying to fire the engine, and its moving the impeller which is propelling you forward. I do this with my SPX's. Good Luck!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

first I would remove the spark plugs and turn the p t o at the rear of the engine to be sure the engine or pump are not locked up,, if the engine turns by hand then you probably have a bad starter or a bad cable either to the ground from the battery or to the starter from the solenoid.

seadooxp

Recruit

i ran my sea doo all day it ran awsome i stop and started like 10 times ..the last time i stpoed i couldnt starte again ..its still beeps and my trim gage goes up ..but when i push th ered start button nothing but when i open the cab and push it i can hear a lil clik noise coming from a black box everything is new on my machine can somon eplzz help me out

hypersniper

Banned

you do realize your posting to a thread thats 2 yrs old??? its your starter solenoid in the black box. search button on here does wonders if you use it.

emoney

Commander

If you're still having problems, you would better serve yourself to start an entirely new thread too.
Keep in mind, there aren't as many "jet guys" online at any given time as there are "prop guys", so
you answer may take a day to get posted.

seadooxp

Recruit

thanks i tried the celanoid and nothing so it might be that and im new too this i dont even no how 2 make a new thread