97 Mercury XR6 alarm problems

Dukedog

Captain
what Faz says, "yes"..
i'm kinda confused here.. you said "Tim Johnson and I replaced the temp sender, the temp sensor, and the alarm control module"?.. if oiler is no longer active/used, why would you replace tha module??? is it or is it not in operation?.. (oil injection)...

that module is for oil injection junk only.. its only purpose is to make any signal from oiler related sensors oscillate... has "0" ta do with over temp signal and/or circuit.........

zacharytboyd

Cadet
what Faz says, "yes"..
i'm kinda confused here.. you said "Tim Johnson and I replaced the temp sender, the temp sensor, and the alarm control module"?.. if oiler is no longer active/used, why would you replace tha module??? is it or is it not in operation?.. (oil injection)...

that module is for oil injection junk only.. its only purpose is to make any signal from oiler related sensors oscillate... has "0" ta do with over temp signal and/or circuit.........

Attachments

• CD8CED25-0945-4C83-ACC8-89D2ECA551D4.jpeg
    CD8CED25-0945-4C83-ACC8-89D2ECA551D4.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 5

zacharytboyd

Cadet
Then what’s the purpose of the tan w/blue wire coming from the alarm control module? Doesn’t make sense that it has nothing to do with the temp circuit if it’s wired to it.

Dukedog

Captain
tha only thing they share (oil/over temp) is tha buzzer.. they do not have any other association.. tha tan/blue coming from tha module is justa "signal" thats coming from tha module.. same as a signal wire coming from tha over temp.. they jus happen ta use tha same wire goin' to tha buzzer.. only difference is that tha module creates tha short "self test beeps", which lets ya know tha oiler operation is operating normal, and oscillation of its signal (trouble) to differentiate tha two alarms..
look at it this way... you have two push buttons that will ring tha same bell.. one button has nothing ta do with tha other as for as ringin' tha bell.... so you add a module ta one button circuit that makes tha bell different when its energized.. thus ya know which button is being pushed...........
if you disconnect tha tan/blue goin' to tha module at terminal block you will have no warning for oil problems but you still have over temp protection and vice versa...

Last edited:

zacharytboyd

Cadet
Understood.

I removed the control module yesterday and went out to test it today. When it started, the engine reved up real high and stopped. I was unable to get it to run at idle. I am not sure what the heck is going on with that! I became frustrated and quit. Any chance removing that module would cause that issue?

zacharytboyd

Cadet
Ok all! Just wanted to report that I removed the alarm module and added a temp gauge for safe measure. Took the boat out this weekend and all was well. I appreciate the feedback!