97' Larson 166 Johnson 115 prop selection

Rustydiamond

Recruit
Just got this boat a few weeks ago, my first ski boat, it's a 1997 Larson Flyer 166 16' with a 1996 Johnson 115. after doing a good bit of engine work I finally got it running like it should yesterday and got it out of the water. The prop is a composite with 4X12.8X17 stamped on the side and came with a stingray hydro foil on it. At WOT it will get about 5600 rpm, a little more in smooth water with it trimmed out a little more. Not sure on the mph yet I'll take gps with me next time. Does this sound right or are the rpms a little too high?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

For that will need to know the min-max wot rpm range as factory stated. Is there sticker somewhere on cowl or middle pan ?

Happy Boating

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Your upper limit is going to be 5500-6000 range, depending on where the mfgr rated it. Difference in engine parameters are amount of fuel and air in and out. Otherwise you have the same combustion innerds so if one can run 500 rpms faster with the same moving parts, why can't the other........it can and then some. BTDT You are in that range. 2 strokers like to run, not lug and you have yours running mighty sweet. Good job on your "rebuild"