97 four winns motor replacement

barmahn

Cadet
I have a 5.7 liter motor that I need to replace. I found a low hour 94 motor and was wondering if that would work in it as the one that I have in the boat is a 97. It has a carb manifold with a TBI set up on it. I know that the 94 is a carb motor. I was wondering if it would work inplace of the the 97 motor and put the TBI on it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It depends on if the 97 is a Vortec engine which has different cyl heads and different intake manifold (8 bolts to hold it down vs 12 for the pre Vortec). You have to check what you have. The 94 for sure is not a Vortec. It might be possible to use the cyl heads from the 97 on the 94 block if the heads are in good enough shape, then your manifold and fuel system should transfer over. The year when they changed from pre-vortec to vortec was 96/97 so it is possible for a 97 to be either one, the power package can be a year older than the boat is in some cases. If your 97 is not a vortec then everything should transfer over.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a 5.7 liter motor that I need to replace. I found a low hour 94 motor and was wondering if that would work in it as the one that I have in the boat is a 97. It has a carb manifold with a TBI set up on it. I know that the 94 is a carb motor. I was wondering if it would work inplace of the the 97 motor and put the TBI on it.
As outlined its is likely your 97 is a Vortec ( 8 vertical intake to head bolts) vs the 94 that is a non vertec (12 angled intake to head bolts), the non vortec would make about 35 less hp.
It is possible you could swap the TBI over using the non vortec intake , but hard to tell if the fuel mapping will work with a non vortec or will require someone reprogramming the ECU. Really depends on how much you want to play around with it. You may be able to find a place that does reprograming and repairing of ECUs and can give some direction.

usually good running marine engines are as expensive as a new long block did you compare cost to a new or reman vortec and swaping your accessories over?