'97 Force 120 - No water from peehole

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat got stucked in shallow water. First, I saw no water flow through the peehole, then the overheat alarm went off. I then shut off the motor and waited for 10-15 minutes. I started the motor again, there was water flow through the peehole. I then started to head back to dock with 30miles/hr. The water was still flowing fine on the way back, until I was stopped by USCG due to someone attempted to jump off the overhead bridge. USCG detoured us by their direction so I ran the boat in 5 miles/hr. After that, I ran the boat 25-30miles/hr again, but the water started to flow less through the peehole, then stopped flowing at all. However, the motor was still running fine for another 10-15 minutes @25-30miles/hr with NO overheated alarm went off until I got to the dock. I towed the boat home and ran it with garden hose water, there was still NO water flow through the peehole. Though I saw some water bubbles came out from it. What is wrong with the motor? Please advise me what I should do? Many thanks in advance! - Anthony:confused:

hoofbite

Seaman
Re: '97 Force 120 - No water from peehole

Well when you ran a ground you may have gotten a bunch of crap stuck in the intake. Check and clean. If good and still no water. You may need an impeller or water pump which will require you to drop the lower leg and purchase a few parts.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks hoofbite... It was the peehole got clogged. I used a small metal string to unclog it then ran the motor. The stream from the peehole is strong and steady again. Many thanks... :) Anthony

I also have a 97 Force 120. I get good flow from the peehole while in the lake and no alarm. But when I hook it to a garden hose I get no water from the peehole. Does yours do that? Is that normal?

BTW, you might want to inspect your impeller and be sure it is not damaged.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure what has happened to your motor but I got both flows strong and steady from the lower unit and peehole when run motor with rabbit ears connected with garden hose. The lower unit stream is always warmer than the peehole's stream. As the motor was running, I always attempted to touch the engine block and surroundings, they were never be hot but cool. I'm going to winterize my boat in a few weeks, I'll change the water impeller to make sure I have a fresh start on my motor next year. Thanks - Anthony