'97 Evinrude 115 water from lower mount plates??

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice
My first outboard, I've had her a year and I'm still getting to know her.<br /><br />I'm seeing water exiting from around the bottom edges of both lower mount cover plates on my '97 Rude 115SPL. Is this normal? I've been tracking an overheat issue I had at the ramp the other day where the alarm sounded after only idling to the ramp dock. I've run it on the hose and in a tank since then and have not had the alarm repeat. The water is slightly warmer than the tank water but not as warm as the discharge water at the outlet, and is coming out in substantial volume. The pee hole is running, but not all that hard. Would this mean there may be a hole in the water tube inside the housing? This may have been taking place for awhile, I just now noticed it.<br /><br />I'm going to replace my impeller, what else can I look at when I've got the lower unit off?<br /><br />Thanks everyone!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '97 Evinrude 115 water from lower mount plates??

StAugVol.... When you have the lower unit removed, look at the top of the water pump where the drive shaft exits. Notice that there is no seal there. Water pressure, besides going its natural route, also travels up that driveshaft path. There are water outlet holes in back of those lower M/Mount plates which allow that water to escape. If those holes wern't there, water would be traveling up through the driveshaft tube with great force, spraying water up at the bottom of the powerhead area (not a good idea). Bottom line is that water exiting at that area is normal.<br /><br />If the outlet force of water has dropped at the water outlet telltale fitting, use a piece of straight solid wire to see if the fitting has become clogged with salt, sand, whatever (poke it up that fitting). If the fitting is free of debris and the water presure is still low, I'd suggest that you replace the entire water pump assy, not just the impeller. One score in either the water pump plate or impeller housing cup is enough to create a air pocket.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

My guess is that you also had a thermostat sticking closed. It usually takes about 4 minutes at idle on these motors for the overheat to sound. Once they start to stick, there's no guarantee that they won't do it permanently. I believe I'd change them out [with OEM themostats-my opinion].

StAugVol

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe & Jack<br /><br />Joe, one more thing, from the plate on my motor I've copied the model # XE115HXEUA and S/N G04286539. The motor has a broad blue band with SPL on the stern. I see in my manual (p/n 507267)entitled '"EU" 90 degree CV Service Manual, 90hp-115hp' that it covers Evinrude models E115TSLEU, E115TSXEU, & E115JLEU. Do I have the right manual even though there's no "HXEUA" mentioned? Where can I find a S/N key, like the VIN keys available for a car?<br /><br />I really like this motor so far, but I think she's been a little neglected. Well, not anymore!