97 Evenrude 175 60 degree Looper - Idle issue

Maichip

Cadet
I have this motor almost where I want it to be. I have one remaining issue. The motor idles a little low under load. I need to increase the idle rpm by about 1 or 2 hundred. I cannot find an idle speed adjustment to save my life.

Again, any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 97 Evenrude 175 60 degree Looper - Idle issue

Make sure carbs are clean and fuel is fresh. Make sure timing is right, should be about TDC to 4 degrees after TDC. Make sure compression is good. Make sure you have 6 sparks.

Then make sure the throttle plates ALL close when put to the idle stop. Then and only after then, look at the stbd. side of the carb you will see a little whole through the plastic part of the carb. You can stick a hex head driver through the hole to adjust the idle needle further in the body of the carb. Make sure they are all turned out to their initial setting, about 5 turns out. (don't quote me :) ) Adjust from there, with the engine fully in the water and little each time. You can adjust the timing, if you look at the top of the engine where the linkage are is. You will see two tabs, one for low speed, one for high speed. Loosen the screw and only adjust the low speed one to adjust the idle speed. DO NOT TOUCH THE HIGH SPEED SIDE.