'97 75hp Force Starts then won't start

sdpotter

Recruit
reborn to Outboards (Last owned at age 15,now 42). Powerhead seems is excellent shape. Turns over with one turn of the key and runs fine and stong for a while. Then it begins to "Miss" and conks out. When this happens and it is variable, I can't start it for a period of time and when it decides to restarts it continues to restart with ease???? When it conks out it seems to be getting fuel though I did notice the bulb primer with "sucked in". I release the suction and it still didn't start. There was gas in the fuel filter and it has a new battery. The engine turns but just won't turn over.???????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: '97 75hp Force Starts then won't start

The sucked in primer bulb is indicating that the fuel pump is working, but that the fuel can not get up the fuel hose.<br /><br />Either the primer bulb has a restriction, <br />the fuel pickup in the tank is clogged, <br />or the vent to the tank is closed or plugged, not allowing air in, to replace the fuel sucked out by the fuel pump.<br /><br />If the tank is portable, make sure the vent is open, and look inside for dirt and debris. Or try a different tank.<br /><br />If the tank is built-in, make sure the vent line is unobstructed.<br />Or try a portable tank.<br /><br />Last, is to replace the fuel line.