'97 75HP Force - Impeller question

badly bent or broke

Seaman Apprentice
New to boating and looking to change the impeller on the '97 75 HP Force I purchased last summer in the name of maintenance. Iboats lists an impeller for this motor but no impeller kit that includes gaskets. How likely am I to trash the gaskets when I take this pump apart? The impeller is on it's way but should I go ahead and order gaskets, etc. before proceeding?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: '97 75HP Force - Impeller question

Welcome to iboats.

I always like to have the gaskets on hand, you never know if you will tear one, or if it was damaged or removed the last time the impeller was replaced.
You can get what you need at any Mercury dealer. There are 2 gaskets, which run about $3 each.

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just replaced my 1970 Chrysler 35 impeller , those seales were fine!!!! dont waste your money, unless there obviously tashed.....take your time and take every thing apart corectly, i cant imagine a97 being that bad.. by the way look around online (REMOVED' AS NO DIRECT LINKS ARE ALLOWED) for parts ,, this site is a rip.... good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

walleyehed

Admiral

As Roscoe said, find the gaskets and replace them...it'll save ya alot of head-ache down the road.
I've watched this happen for over 30yrs now...spend a few extra bucks and do it right so you won't be either doing it again shortly or rebuilding a powerhead.

And...dono16, freshwater recommendations are to replace pump and /with gaskets every 3 yrs., saltwater, every-other year...there's a reason.

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

waleyehed, i just took in to consideration that our friend is from Kentucky, i doubt hes trailerin to the ocean,,,but may be ...... im a Michigan boy ,freshwater. and im speaking from my experiences ,,,,u can say whatever they recomend but in real water yeahhh a i dont think so!!! happy new years !!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just replaced my 1970 Chrysler 35 impeller , those seales were fine!!!! dont waste your money, unless there obviously tashed.....take your time and take every thing apart corectly, i cant imagine a97 being that bad.. by the way look around online (REMOVED' AS NO DIRECT LINKS ARE ALLOWED) for parts ,, this site is a rip.... good luck!!
I am an ol boy from Kentucky and we change them every 2 years, need it or not.
That's called preventive maintenance.:)
And I hope your statement, "this site is a rip" is not referring to iboats.:rolleyes:

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd get the gaskets, and put it together by the book, you can get some parts from Napa, you'll have to order them