97 200 Ocean pro lower unit

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice
Good afternoon all,
I've done a lot of work on my motor lately, but the latest was attempting to replace my water pump. I have the factory book and all, and I've removed many lower units in my life.

My problem is the lower unit won't come off. I have all the hardware out, the shift rod disconnected, etc. It will drop down about a 1/4 inch and move around, but won't drop. The exhaust gasket is free and loose. It looks like it's stuck in the crankshaft. I bolted it back up and ran it on the hose for about 30 minutes, shifting into fwd and reverse. Tried again, and it still won't drop off. Gentle prying and pounding on it is no help.

My pump still pumps good, but I just wanted to replace it. Guess I'll postpone it for a while. Any ideas? :confused:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 97 200 Ocean pro lower unit

It sounds like the driveshaft has rusted itself into the crank. Gentle persuasion is a good starting point. I've heard of guys using a crow bar on them but I wouldn't try that. Maybe use something less violent like a carpenters "flat bar". They are only about 16" long and thinner than 1/4" but, they are strong and should apply enough pressure (with a gentle tap with a mallet) to release the driveshaft. Can you tilt the motor up far enough to get some penetrating oil up there? A smaller motor can be stood on it's head and the penetrating oil would soak in better.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Another thought.. take the plugs out, shift to neutral, drop the lower unit that 1/4" that you had before, slowly turn the flywheel clockwise while having someone hold the lower unit. there may be a pin through the top end of the driveshaft that would need to align with slots in order to drop down.

daselbee

Commander

No, there is no pin.

Rusted in. Apply wedge pressure between LU and leg bottom. Slowly increase pressure over days..by tapping in wedges.

May pull out, may pull the driveshaft out of the LU. Dunno.

Crapshoot.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How did you disconnect the shift?

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Don't think there's any way to get "P" oil up there. I'm pretty sure the spline is rusted into the crank. I've tried wooden wedges between the LU and the upper with no luck. Afraid if I force it down that the shaft will pull up through the pump and jack up my gear box. I'm going to put it back together and run the crap out of it, hoping it will free up... but I'm not too optimistic. :(