96 yamaha 130, and over-heating

rusobr2

Cadet
2 yrs ago i traded for this boat,(it was salt H2O boat) and took it out 4 or five times..... owner stated boat ran fine and all worked .... motor ran rite up just perfect, ....... maybe 7 hrs total that yr (had a late start, so to speak)
i have M/S, and last yr , things were not so good, and boat sat........ now this yr, i pre check engine, and start with water hooked up for 10 min. before cranking "bingo" fires rite up..... as i'm looking around, i see NO water coming out of anything .... check heads with my hand, and warm, wait a bit and hotter so i shut off .
i'v been a boater my whole life so where do i start on this project... and yes, i have tools, so not a problem

thanks in advance

steven

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
water pump kit, PRV(popit valve) and thermostats are always where to start for overheat to make sure water is pumping and circulating properly

Did you use muffs on motor or the hose fitting(if it has one) and are you sure water was flowing?

Last edited:

rusobr2

Cadet
i was using muffs, and had water running for about 10 min. while hooking up bat. chrg. ..... then tried to start, and it fired rite up
i'm in county, so on well, and this yr i put one of the small hose screens in so not to send any sand particles thru engine..... 3/4 hose that shoots water out about 6 - 8 ft

thanks..... steven

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Saw no water coming out of anything????????? Does that mean you didn't see it coming out from around the muffs either? If that's the case, there was a kink in the hose or the water simply was not turned on. It is not possible for muffs to hold back household water pressure without it spraying from beneath them.