96 penta 5.0 stuck in safe mode

hudsonnewbie

Recruit
I have a 96 Seaswirl with a penta 5.0. rpm wouldn't go above 3500. changed fuel pressure regulator and injectors. now it's stuck in safe mode and will not go above 2500. Disconnected batteries and shorted out and still the computer won't reset. What else can I do. Timing is right starts right up. Revs up in neutral

hudsonnewbie

Recruit
When u accelerate starts to get up then the revs top out at 2500 and will not go any higher. The only thing I can figure out is it is in safe mode. Fuel pressure is right. Plugs r new. What else could be causing this. I am at a loss and need your help to figure it out

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
SAFE mode is driven by dedicated oil pressure and water temperature switches, not the sensors that drive the gauges. The ECM goes into safe mode when either of these switches goes to open circuit. They are normally grounded at normal operating temperatures/pressures. Find the sensors and confirm they connect to ground. The one that doesn't is failed. If both are good, then check the wiring for a break in the wiring.