96 Merc 200 Offshore 10yrs in storage

scottkell

Cadet
I just bought a Wellcraft 218 ccf with a 200 Merc Offshore on it. The boat and motor is 96. It was as the seller said "used it 2 1/2 seasons and parked it in the back yard." It looked as if it had been setting for 10 yrs. Anyhow. I have cleaned it up. Drained the fuel tank and cleaned the carbs. Should I be concerned with the water pump and possibly the fuel pump? Anything else???
Thanks for any info.
Scott

roozter2550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 96 Merc 200 Offshore 10yrs in storage

yes on the fuel pump...rebuild is in order
yes on the water pump...impeller should be changed

Robot1947

Cadet

You should also be worried about the oil injection system. The system seems to bind up after long term storage and the plastic oil pump drive gear strips. Check out www.marinesolutionswi.com for help if this happens.

Test your alarms before you use it, my overheat alarm didn't go off when my water pump failed last week. In my case, it is a 2004 200hp that had less than 30 hours on it, and I did damage. Check those alarms.

scottkell

Cadet

You should also be worried about the oil injection system. The system seems to bind up after long term storage and the plastic oil pump drive gear strips. Check out www.marinesolutionswi.com for help if this happens.

Well guess what. The plastic drive gear to the oil pump has stripped. Wonder how hard that is to replace. I have a manual on the way. Maybe it will explain.