96 Johonson 50HP won't start

charliehines4126

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 50hp johnson that turns fine but won't start ? the boat was serviced every yr. I just got it from a family member and it won't start it has OMC controls he didn't have the key I had to buy one.it turns the boat over,also he lost the safety clip that goes on the key switch,I do't have that I was sure it would start without it wrong.Im getting plenty of fuel and think Im getting fire,I work on everything just dumbfound with boats .any help will be great .I was here awhile back and got lots of help and the boat running so I'm back

Fed

Commander
Re: 96 Johonson 50HP won't start

I'm a bit confused by your question but it won't start without the safety clip in place.

charliehines4126

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I confused you. I m asking do I really need this clip to Start this boat,I was told no,but you are saying yes I need it is that right ? thanks for any help

Fed

Commander

The starter motor will turn over without the clip but the engine won't start.

5oldjohnsons

Cadet

Yes you need the clip. The ignition is grounded when the clip is not in place so it wont fire the plugs.

charliehines4126

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys you all was right again.the boat is up and running without your help this $12.00 piece could have cost me hundreds. you guys are great again THANKS....Problem solved