'96 Johnson 88, starter smokeing

insearch

Seaman
The starter runs, but when it engages the flywheel it won't turn the engine over, it is almost like a slipping clutch.

the starter tries to turn the engine and it might turn one rotation of the starter motor gear, I can hear the starter motor turning at a high speed and if I let it run too long it starts to smoke.

Any Ideas?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: '96 Johnson 88, starter smokeing

Yep, there is a rubber clutch inside the "bendix" that is slipping. Did you spray anything on or around the starter lately? WD-40 or other sprays will kill that clutch in a heartbeat.

insearch

Seaman

WD-40 is the culprit, I can see how the bendix works now, can I clean it with something or do I have to replace the unit?

I am not sure how to remove the starter, there are 2 obvious bolts but there must be one or two more I have to undo to get the gear off. Any Ideas?

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

once the starter is off....raise the bendix by hand..under the bendix is a hex nut...get a wrench on it..then remove the top nut...remove the bendix..make sure you clean the shaft splines good and just add 2 drops of 3-1 oil in the splines....

never use WD-40 it gums up after awhile...count the teeth on the bendix also so you get the right one....

I oil the splines twice a season..but I use my boat alot...just a drop or 2 is all you need....but get the splines cleaned....I make it a habit to clean and oil every season....that way you never have a sticky bendix...

Al

insearch

Seaman

I am glad I bought the manual :)

The top has a ring keeper.

I removed the bendix and washed all the parts in Dawn, got it back together and it works perfectly.

I never had a starter apart before, now I know another thing, Thank you for your help