96 GTX bogs before and after carb rebuilds (( Jeff Walkowiak??))

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My GTX was bogging last summer but would clear up after about 15 minutes of floating around in the water and feathering the gas and shutting the engine off and turning it on. I did a pop off test and one of the carbs was leaking and wouldn't hold pressure. I rebuilt them with factory Mikuni rebuild kits and double checked my work. Used the silver springs and also replaced the needle and seats. I took my son out on Sunday and the exact same thing happens. The ski bogs. I feathered the fuel on off switch this time and seems the carbs are flooding causing the bog. I removed the carbs last night, checked the front filter and blew threw the return line and nothing was out of place. I opened the carbs and they look perfece. Going to do the pop off test now. Any suggestions? I also tested the rectifier and from what I could tell on my ohms meter it read 14 V. Would the wrong needle cause this? I ordered the 1.5. <br /><br />HELP!!!!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 96 GTX bogs before and after carb rebuilds (( Jeff Walkowiak??))

Those carbs can drive you crazy,, I eliminate the fuel switch and go directly to reserve on the tank I have had too many problems with those switches in the past, also be sure all fuel lines are really tight so there is no air sucking in the lines, and add a restrictor to the return line to hold pressure at the needles, be sure the tang for the needle is even across not lower or higher. I actually pump up the carbs around 15 to 20 lbs fully assembled and submerge them in a can of gas to see if any air bubbles are visible from internal leaking at the needle this is with the diaphragm cover installed. also check the dedicated ground wire from the ignition coil box to the battery, and check the rave valves to see that they are opening and the bellows cap isn't stripped where it screws on to the blade. on the raves I turn the red cap all the way down. and be sure there is no exhaust leaking inside the hull even a little will cause it to run bad. drive with the seat off and look for improved performance if it runs better with the seat off there is exhaust fumes in the hull also the high speed jet should be all the way closed with the adjuster.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Jeff!<br />I took the pop off pressure and both carbs read 26 pounds. I tested them both 6 times and they read 26 psi each time. I checked the Mikuni manual and then did some research and found that the old springs were black and the ones I put in are silver! I needed the 80 gram ones. Would you say it's safe to say my carbs were leaking and that was causing the bogging? Pop off pressure too low because I had the wrong springs in there where the needle is. I have a 1.5 needle. <br /><br />I cleaned the raves over the winter as they were pretty gunked up.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I ran in to a problem once where the carb only leaked with the cover installed over the diaphragm, when the cover was off it was fine, so now I check them with the cover reinstalled. if the plugs were black yes that could be the problem