95 starcraft cracked block 4.3L

av8or91

Recruit
I messed up and didnt winterize in time as a result my pocket is hurting slash going to hurt. Im looking for a 4.3L mercruiser long block or short block for a resonable price. my local boat shop wants 4000+ which i think is outragous. am looking to spend 1000. found a recked boat localy that has a 1988 mercruiser 4.3l is this older motor the same? I think my fuel pump is electric. and the 88' model is belt driven i think. but is this inerchangeable. so i guess what im asking for are ideas from people who maybe went to the same thing......

side note:
I was going to get a wake tower from myself for my birthday but looks like i get to put a new motor in instead :(

cr2k

Captain
Re: 95 starcraft cracked block 4.3L

Don't know of any motor with belt driven fuel pump?

The early (don't remember the years) 4.3 was a non balance shaft motor.
If all else fails you could use a 4.3 from a wrecking yard OUT OF A TRUCK. (cheaper) Or any model if you put your inards in it.
The truck engine is the closest to the marine is caming and performance.

You MUST still use your marine electrical and fuel accessories.

Bondo

Staff member

but is this inerchangeable. so i guess what im asking for are ideas from people who maybe went to the same thing......

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

The 4.3l went through Alotta changes over the years,... a year Newer, 'n yer's would be a Vortec...

Yes, that motor will adapt...
Use yer current fuel system, 'n put a block-off plate on the block, or leave it's fuel pump alone...

The intake may, or may not fit, 'n ya might need to change the T-stat housing,... or not...

av8or91

Recruit

OK, i Pulled the motor out of my boat. I havent orded a new block yet. i know my block is cracked i can see the crack. What are the chances that the heads are cracked. how do i find out. should i just order a long block (i was going to order a long block.). im 20 years old i live for boating. but im getting nervous cant afford a whole new engine. cant afford to have someone else rebuild my motor. im not a gear head but know a little. i bought a service manual. and am getting nervous. please help.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Would a GM 4.3 Vertec from an auto wreckers work out? Bolt pattern.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

water expands 17% as it freezes, and it does not discriminate between your blocks and heads.

marine engines and truck engines come off the same line. main difference in the long block assembly is core plugs, cam, and head gaskets. If your on a tight budget, I recommend that you pick up a low $ salvage yard motor (preferably a 96-2000 to get the vortec heads), add brass core plugs, marine head gaskets, your existing '95 marine cam, and all the external pieces.

your out $250 for gaskets, $400 for a motor, and you have a bit left over for misc. items. you can also hit up your local engine rebuilder.