'95 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Generation 2

joho09

Cadet
I want to change impeller on my '95 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Generation 2 lower unit. It has the gear oil resevoir up in the engine compartment. While I have changed impellers on my old Evinrude many times, this remote resevoir has me puzzled. Is there a connection to this resevoir that I should be aware of or does the gear case drop off like normal after draining it? I checked out Mercstuff but it wasn't mentioned. Any thoughts or advice will be welcomed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '95 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Generation 2

The gear lube monitor is connected to the drive by a hose and quick disconnect fitting. Half in the drive, half in the pivot housing.<br />The best thing to do is pull the drive to change the impeller. You need to check the bellows for water, lube the splines going into the coupler and check the alignment yearly anyway, so might as well do it all at once. It also makes it easier to put the 2 halves back together. Especially if you've never done it before.<br />Below is a link to the Mercruiser service manual for your drive, It will give you all the details on changing the impeller, and the other maintenance needed for the drive and transom shield.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

tommays

Admiral

Your best bet is to do it on a bench like this<br />
f486cc62.jpg
<br /><br /> <br /><br />
f486cc5b.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Getting the black quad ring on the penny back in correctly is much easery that way<br /><br />
f486cc58.jpg
<br /> <br />Be really carefull about breaking bolts if it not been apart in a LONG time <br /><br />tommays

joho09

Cadet

Thanks, I think I'll leave this to an expert.