95 johnson 115

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 95 johnson 115

Are these a good motor to buy, or should I get something else?

each motor rest on its own merits.....meaning if it was taken care of, any motor design could better than a better design that was not taken care of.

there are two vastly different 115 hp motors made by johnson in 1995 a 60 degree looper

and a 90 degree crossflow

I think generally the 60 degree looper is a better design...seeing as OMC phased out the crossflow in the late 90s but kept the 60 degree looper designm going..

but as said before a 115 crossflow that was kept in good shape and had good maintenance on it is a better motor than a poorly maintain and or abused 115 looper.

I have two of the looper motors and I like them..

as a totally non scientific observation over the last two years..it seems I have seen more blown crossflows than I have 60 degree loopers( from 1995 and later)

check compression, and spark...LU oil

does it idle well??? does it sound good?

can you shine a flashlight into the spark plug hole and see silver..or is everythign covered in black caked crud??

does it look well maintained?

service records?

good luck

bob

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can you tell the difference between the 2 motors? I don`t know what to look for.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

How can you tell the difference between the 2 motors? I don`t know what to look for.

several ways..

one the 60 degree looper they say OIS ignition on the plastic cover between the heads...

and you cannot see the flywheel...the top of the motor is covered with plastic housings and covers.

the 90 degree motors has the flywheel on top in view.

bob