95 Evinrude 115 Intruder

el-cap-pee-ton

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I have inherited a new old 95 Evinrude Intruder 115 rigged on a 96 Ranger. Boat ran fine last summer and now, it won't start. It wasn't properly winterize from what the previous owner had told me. Today I've tried starting it but it just cranks. New batteries,fuel stabilizers and oil were added. I'd checked the spark plugs wires, spark plugs and throttle bodies but nothing seem to be loose/crack or missing. After cranking for a few minutes, I can smell gasoline. I am now wondering if I am getting spark.Also on the throttle control, there is a white push button (Not the tilt/trim). Does that have anything to do with starting? My other boat doesn't have that (98 Ocean Pro). I'm assuming it is not the safety switch as pushing it in does nothing when I'm trying to start it. Any idea would be helpful.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Have you tried using a spark tester or at least holding a spark plug wire near a bolt to see if you re getting spark?
Have you checked it doesnt require a lanyard safety clip on the control box to start?
Cranking it for too long in one go without starting will overheat and damage the starter/cables and solenoid

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I second spark check....steps..you need to take specific steps to eliminate probable causes..

couple things.

there is a specific start up procedure with priming and starting
there is a specific MINIMUM RPM needed to even make spark...make sure battery is fully charged and the connections are all clean and good.
good luck

bob