95 Bayliner Jazz/ SportJet 120

TheDonMan

Recruit
The motor started up fine when we bought it and we towed it home about 100miles and now it wont start. We put new spark plugs in it (the recommended spark plugs werent in it and they looks bad), bought a new battery and it still won't turn over. Sometimes it acts like it is going to start but never fully turns over. Anyone else have this issue with their jetboat? Any help would be appriciated.

Each plug is getting spark

Last edited:

LargoDon

Cadet
Re: 95 Bayliner Jazz/ SportJet 120

you may need to crank a while to get the gas pumped into the carbs- there is a weak diaphram fuel pump that only pumps when the engine is cranking.

Alot of people have added a primer bulb to prime the line before starting to crank.

Most of the no start issues would be due to no spark- so knowing you have spark eliminates most of the issues (like bad rev limiter, weak battery). I would try hooking up a spare gas tank using a primer bulb and see if that gets it to turn over.

TheDonMan

Recruit

I will definatly try that out this week and see what kind of result i get.

I spoke to the previous owner and he told me that it was winterized and that he sprayed a squirt of starter fluid in the carb and it started right up. He told me that it just needs all the old stuff blown out. Basically the run around. I charged the battery fully overnight and tried starting again. I can hear the buildup of something in the plug chambers im guessing fuel/oil (im new to this whole troubleshooting engines thing). I'm using the garden hose hooked to the inlet behind the motor. Sometimes the starter silonoid stays up, is this normal?

Ill add the prime bulb to one of the lines and see what i can get. Can i just run the bulb line to a full gas can? And does anyone have the manual? Thank you

TheDonMan

Recruit

I have another question. I changed the spark plugs which were different than what the past owner had in. I used the recommended plug in the book. I took the plugs out the top two looked like they were dirty (oil/gas mix) and the bottom two were clean except fuel. Is this normal?

Also to follow up with the last question, where is the best place for the gas bulb to go?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check for spark first that is the biggest reason they do not start . Go to an auto parts store and get a spark test tool , see if you have spark and post results . Can help from there

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you feel you have good compression , I would suggest taking fuel line loose at carbs , put it in a GLASS jar and crank the engine and look for good fuel flow . Another good test is to pull all the plugs , disconnect the stator or hold the kill switch to kill the spark and crank the engine with plugs out and see if you get fuel spray out of the spark plug holes ... post results and we can go from there !